Chapter Twenty-Eight ~ I Found You!

"I'm going with you."

"No you're not."

"You can't just leave me here. You kidnapped me, now you gotta put up with me." Isa argued as she followed behind the pale demigod. Her words seemed to bounce off his back for no matter what she said his answer wouldn't change.

"Well, if you'd like I can just take you back..." Nico trailed off, knowing very well she didn't want to go back.

"I'm good, thanks. Where are we going, anyway?" Isa shuddered. She wrapped the aviator jacket tighter around her shoulders to ward off the cold. When Nico had taken her from the manor he hadn't grabbed anything of hers, so he'd leant her his jacket.

"I'm following the ghost trail, and you're doing as you're told. How do you know I'm not just like your father anyway? How do you know I'm not going to take control of the ghosts for myself?" Nico said.

"I might not meet lots of people, but I know not everybody is inherently evil. My brother's not. Besides, you already told me some of your plan." Isa gave a smug grin as she picked up her walking pace to keep up with the demigod.

Nico sighed. He had no retort for that.

He looked at her. "Look, you're not coming in with me. It's too dangerous."

Isa frowned. "Then where am I going to stay?"

"You're going to hide and not come out regardless of what happens." Nico informed her. Wherever this ghost trail was leading them, it wasn't fair for him to involve Isa. These ghosts were vicious, taken from the depths of his father's realm.

The young girl pouted. "Fine. But all least tell me about this boyfriend of yours."

Nico spluttered and turned red, the shade thankfully masked by the dark cover of the night. "You're so nosy!"

"I'm eleven," she said as if that explained everything.

"He's not my boyfriend," Nico muttered. He pushed a branch out of the way as they continued to make their way through the forest. In the far distance Nico could see his next destination, another house.

"Of course not. Your crush then."

"No! Boy-friend! Friend who is male!"

Isa decided to let it slide. "Fine then. What's your 'male-friend's' name?"

"Gods you're insufferable. It's none of your business." Nico scoffed.

"Well you can't blame me. I'm bored. Talk to me. I don't get to meet people often. So shoot me, I'm curious."

"Curiosity killed the cat, you know."

"Yeah? Well satisfaction brought it back." Nico glowered at her and she offered him an innocent grin.

The demigod sighed in defeat. She was never going to meet him anyway. "His name is Will. Happy?"

She beamed at him. "Very. What's he look like? Is he nice? Where's he from? Does he know about your whole 'Ghost King' thing?"

Nico groaned, beginning to regret bringing her along. It had proven to be nothing but a nuisance to have her with him, but he couldn't find it in his heart to abandon her or send her back. All she had were questions and then more questions. Most of which were about Will. Not that he particularly minded talking about the son of Apollo, but that was besides the point.

When they got close enough for Nico's comfort, he told Isa to hide up the tree. It was both a good hiding spot and vantage point. She'd be able to see everything from up there, with a clear view of the manor. The witch would be harder to spot up the tree, because few people walked around with their faces to the sky looking for run away children hiding in trees.