𝑶𝑵𝑬

❛   𝐨𝐧𝐞   ❜

run away . . .
it was a powerful instinct. ❞

BROOKLYN, 1938

BROOKLYN, 1938

          ANASTASIA couldn't help but let out a breathy laugh.

Her fist rose to cover her lips as wrinkles formed at the corner of her eyes. She was observing her new friends James; or as he liked to be called Bucky, and Steve run. Only after three weeks of meeting Anastasia, the army had opened for enlistment and she offered the two gentlemen a little help with getting into better physical shape.

She too wanted to serve in the army and contribute something. Anastasia loathed the idea of staying in her small apartment and sit around while people who didn't even know her were laying down their lives.

"You run...oddly." Anastasia commented when Bucky finished his lap around the ageing apartment building.

Behind him, Steve came stumbling in, panting heavily. Her eyes flickered over to the slimmer man before looking up into Bucky's bright eyes. Her thumb clicked the small stopwatch they were using.

"What'cha mean, darlin'?" he said with a huff, placing his hands on his hips. Grabbing the small watch, he glanced down at his and Steve's shared time, before nodding at it.

Anastasia slowly moved around the boys, swinging her arms in demonstration. Her left arm moved in a circle while her right swung back and forth normally.

"Your left arm swings around more instead of back and forth. It's like it's heavier than your right one."

James hummed, glancing down at his left limb. He rolled his arm around as if trying to ease a sore muscle. "Hmm, never knew. Nice catch."

"Let's see you run, Ana." Steve piped up after a few moments, finally starting to catch his breath. He rose from his bent position; hands resting on the tops of his knees. Ana's head turned slightly, her pinned up hair bobbing slightly.

"You wanna see me run?"

Bucky stepped in front of her eye line, a cocky smirk on his lips. "Yeah, Valentine." her eyes narrowed playfully at the name. "Let's see you do a lap or two 'round the building since 'ya wanna join the army so bad."

"You boys are somethin' else, I'll tell 'ya." Anastasia muttered, moving away to their starting point, which was two rocks placed parallel from each other. She bent in a start position, awaiting her cue to run.

There was a pause in the air, and Anastasia could feel two pairs of eyes on her back.

"You ready, Ana?" Steve asked, eyes wide and mouth slightly gaped.