In Which: There Is A Lot Of Shouting

Day One

4:45pm

On the road

Mai Taniyama shifted in her seat and pressed her forehead against Bou-san's SUV window. The world outside her was dimming in the fading light of the sun, absent mindedly she checked the time: almost five. That meant they had been in the car for nearly four hours. Mai attempted to stretch her cramped legs, and next to her Masako did the same. In the front passenger seat Ayako let out a loud yawn and mumbled some complaint about hardships. Bou-san's own yawn followed hers, then he announced that he had seen a sign for Nozomi a mile back and that they should be there soon. Everyone sighed in relief.

Mai glanced behind her seat and sent a smile John's way. John smiled back, not looking much more comfortable than any of them with all of Ayako and Masako's suitcases piled up next to him. Mai spotted the one of her own. She hoped she had packed enough now that she saw how much Ayako and Masako had brought, but then again they weren't ones to pack light...

Mai's gaze traveled over the two: Ayako's tight fitting t-shirt and long skirt looked as crisp as when she stepped in the car, and Masako's kimono looked as pressed and neat as ever. One would have never suspected they had been stuck in a car all afternoon. Mai looked down at herself: her tank-top was completely wrinkled, she had taken her jacket off at lunch because she had spilled some sauce on it when Bou-san went over a bump, and her skirt lay about her in saggy folds.

Just great.

With a sigh, Mai closed her eyes and thought forward to their arrival. Nozomi was a small town in a remote area far outside of Tokyo. They had been called a week ago by a Mr. Joji Sachi with claims that the old theater he worked in was haunted. When Mai had fielded the call she almost felt sorry for the guy, he sounded so desperate for their help, but Nozomi was situated half-a-day away and Naru would never take the case. But to her great surprise, she was wrong.

At first he did say no, in fact, Mai had barely gotten out what his claims were after she mentioned the distance. She returned Mr. Sachi's call with a sincere apology, but then he requested that he talk to Naru himself. Mai tried to persuade him otherwise, but he wouldn't hear it, his needs were too desperate. It was a long and terrible walk into Naru's office to hand him the phone, Mai swore the look he gave her would kill anyone not used to it. Firmly she handed off the phone. An hour and two cups of tea later it was settled, they would go. The man claimed his ghosts walked the halls plainly as day, so even with the inconvenience, Naru agreed.

And so here she was, stuffed in Bou-san's SUV; Naru's van driven by Lin a little ahead of them. It was thirty more minutes before they broke off from the forest surrounding them and came into a great clearing: Nozomi. Mai sat forward to look out at the sleepy town. Little houses dotted the land here and there, some children played in the dirt streets that wound around small stores, and then, there it was- the tallest more impressive building in town.

"There it is, the Miyuki theater," Bou-san announced slowing down and craning his neck to look up at it. Ayako chimed in with her own observations,

"Very nice, I've always wanted to go to a Miyuki theater house."

Masako and Mai nodded. The chain of theaters had been built before they were born and were known for excellent entertainment and quality. Bou-san pulled in next to Naru's van.

"It seems that it's well cared for," John commented. And it did. Flourishing flower beds had been planted around the entrance, the windows gleamed- it looked as though it had been built just that day. Mai stepped out of the SUV and took a better look at the theater. Even in the growing dusk, it seemed peaceful.