Teach me why

Requested by @con-stellation-s (via tumblr) Thanks for the suggestion. Feel free to send me any requests via inbox or pm!

Brief synopsis: Gray has been at school for almost all his life. Working as a maths teacher, he encounters Juvia, the new home economics teacher. Through a series of unexpected events, the two become closer. However, as walls and feelings are torn down, secrets also arise...

Gray frowned, his scowl deepening as he peered down at the paper. A red ballpoint pen sat between his fingers, ready to scribble a big fat cross on the page.

Gray fumbled through the thick pile of stacked papers that towered over him and rubbed his knuckles against his jaw. Taking a glance at the ticking clock across the classroom, he collapsed into his chair.

The school semester had just begun and Gray was already regretting his life choices. He had obliviously made an assignment the first week back and to his surprise, every single student in the class managed to hand it in on time.

Tousling back his hair, he readjusted his reading glasses and grumbled. It was a Friday and the clock's short hand hovered at six. He wanted to go home and sleep in on the weekend, not mark calculus questions that were mostly wrong anyway.

Gray huffed into his palms, watching his breath disappear into the cold air. He gazed outside at the whiteness. Tiny snowflakes floated into sight, spiraling in various directions before landing scattered across the concrete floor.

Gray wrapped his knit grey scarf around his neck and let it cover his frozen lips before standing to leave the classroom.

A hot coffee should wake him up.

The school was now empty, as students had already paraded through the hallways, desperate to get home as soon as possible. The silence was unsettling, as Gray was used to getting bombarded with students questioning him. It never occurred to him how quiet the school was in the evening. He stuffed his hands into his suit pockets, trying to stay warm for as much as possible. He'd been persuading the principal to change his classroom to one that was closer to the staff room.

"Gray-sensei?"

The maths teacher whirled to the soft voice. A petite young woman grasped onto a cooking bowl between her hands. Strands of her aqua blue hair spilled out from a chef hat. The classroom door was slightly ajar and a warm light radiated from the room. She slowly stepped out into the hallway, shivering as she did so. "Are you Gray-sensei?"

Gray raised an eyebrow at first, peering past her shoulders to the home economics classroom. Cake batter was smeared across the tables and layers of aprons were piled onto chairs behind her.

"May I help you?"

The girl nodded her head furiously. "Yes, yes, you may help Juvia." She twirled on her heels and rushed back inside. After some moments of shuffling, she reappeared at the door and showed him a paper. He mentally slapped himself awake. He'd seen too many papers that his eyes couldn't seem to focus on the words.

"Juvia's the new home economics teacher and the principal has told Juvia about Gray-sensei," she smiled. "Principal-san said that Gray-sensei is always here after school hours."

Gray scowled.

"Oh! And if Gray-sensei wouldn't mind," Juvia quickly let the paper drop to a table. "could you please show me around the school?"

Gray wanted to decline at first, glancing at his watch. "It's going to snow tonight and I want to get home before traffic hits." He showed her his wrist. "It's almost half past six."

Juvia sighed, her eyebrows creased sadly. "Oh, okay," she muttered. "Sorry."

Gray groaned in defeat as he watched Juvia pout, twiddling her fingers at the edge of a light pink apron tied around her waist.