Gray's feelings Part 1

Erza tossed her vermillion locks behind her back, crossing her arms sternly.

"You're not going to talk to Gray today."

Juvia paused half-stitch, an unfinished Gray plushy entwined between her fingers as she did so.

"W-what?" Juvia's eyes widened in shock.

"Be the one who's distant this time. He should be more proactive in expressing his feelings, Juvia."

The water mage frowned, letting 'Gray' fall to her knees as she set aside her yarn. "But Juvia is already grateful that Gray-sama acknowledges her," she replied softly. "Juvia doesn't want to cause any trouble for Gray-sama."

It was now Erza's turn to frown. "That's not the attitude, Juvia! It's time for Gray to show some affection! Treat him coldly for once, see what he'll do."

She snatched 'Gray' from the water mage and tossed it aside as she caught Juvia's pale hands between hers. "Give it a try. If Gray does show any affection it means you've won, right?"

The water mage's frown deepened as she gazed down at her enclosed hands.

"B-but what if Gray-sama doesn't show any feelings at all?"

Juvia's insecurities were resurfacing again. Her darkest days flashed in front of her eyes, distorting the sight she had in front of her. She didn't want to know Gray's feelings. She didn't want to be rejected. Tears started forming as the thought crossed her mind. Her beloved Gray completely disregarding her; forgetting about her existence and eventually getting bored of her.

Her thoughts were interrupted as Erza flicked the trickling tear away and sighed. "Oh, what will I do with you."

Juvia shifted her gaze to the scarlet-haired mage and cringed as she felt water reappearing at her cheeks. She bit her lip in an attempt to swallow her tears.

Erza gave her a soft smile and brought Juvia into her arms. "Juvia, you're beautiful, okay? Don't undermine yourself because of a man. If he doesn't respond, you'll know what kind of person he truly is. Please, trust me. Would it hurt to try?"

Juvia hastily wiped at her glistening eyes and nodded firmly. "You're right, Erza-san. Juvia will give it a go. Even if Gray-sama doesn't love Juvia she will always love him."

Erza beamed. "That's the spirit."

•••

The guild was full of boisterous members. The room was scattered with colours of the rainbow as everyone was present. Nothing was out of the ordinary, but the only exception was Gray.

He sat at a bench and rested his chin in the palm of his hand. His narrowed eyes never left Juvia, who was busily conversing with Gajeel and Levy. The glitter in Juvia's eyes could still be caught by Gray through the disruptive members of the guild. Despite being seated tables away, the ice mage could still hear Juvia's faint laugh as Levy fumed at something Gajeel had said. But that didn't matter to Gray. What mattered was they way Juvia spoke. Her lips formed a small pout occasionally and her slender hands would cover her mouth when she laughed. The attire she wore today was different. Without her trademark blue dress, her Fairy Tail mark was even more revealing. Her skirt rode up her thigh as she leaned forwards to rest a hand on Levy's stomach. The way her wavy hair hung right above her chest made Gray swallow hard. She carefully brushed a stray lock away as she readjusted her position; her legs were now on full display. Gray tensed as he realised how many people there were in this very room. Was there this many people in the guild? More importantly—this many men?

His shoulders stiffened as he realised that the girl he was studying for the past ten minutes has barely acknowledged his existence. He quickly pushed the thought away. There was no way Juvia wouldn't go to him... right? The ice mage rubbed his hands together, trying to ignore the sweat that started to form at his palms. He was nervous now. Why wasn't Juvia coming over to sit with him? Was it because of the several promises he had undeliberately broken? Rage rushed over him instead. Why didn't he do a better job at protecting her?