Chapter 6

After Derek stormed out the room, he instantly headed for the staff room. Stiles' case was messing with his head. The boy had such an effect on Derek that he physically had to leave to stop himself freaking out. The more he learned about the boy, the more he wanted to help.

Derek knee that technically his job was done, as a doctor that is, as stiles was alive and on his way to recovery but Derek's moral compass was pointing him straight in stiles' direction. He just wanted to help.

That was the reason Derek had originally become a doctor, he wanted to feel that sense of accomplishment and importance when he saved another persons life, however he did not feel that with stiles, because although he knew stiles was safe for the time being, he knew he was in fact NOT safe at all.

Even though stiles would not specify where his other injuries came from, Derek knew. He just didn't know who. Stiles had made an off hand comment about his fathers carelessness towards his earlier in the day, but that was not proof of anything. As far as he knew, stiles was at the end of his last year of high school, a position Derek himself had been in only 4 years prior. However there were massive differences between himself in that position and stiles'.

When he was in his last months of school, him and his family had been looking for universities where he could go and study to gain his doctor degree; stiles however had been going home beaten,bruised and battered until it became too much and had tried to kill himself. Obviously there could be other factors involved, such as chemical imbalances in the brain causing depression, suicidal thoughts and tendencies, anxiety etc but the abuse had definitely contributed towards stiles' unhappiness.

Derek sat down in one of the small, uncomfortable chairs that sat in the corner of the room whilst cradling his coffee to his chest. Now on his break, he allowed his thoughts to run wild.

Derek was gay, he knew that. He had never had any doubts about it and his family had been very accepting and loving, he had a perfect childhood with loving parents and happy siblings. He came out to them when he was 15 although he had known himself since he first thought that Jack was more beautiful than Rose.

At first it scared him a little, because all of his friends had recently just started talking about the good looking girls of their class, and who was cute and who was asking who out and he tried to hard to be part of the conversations, fake laughing his way through them and giving a random comment to feel like he belonged, but he knew he didn't.

For them first few years he put up with it, to scared to say otherwise but as his friends started growing older and more serious about their attraction to girls, and started to get real girlfriends, he knew he was at his breaking point.

Then SEX became a thing talked about seriously within his group, and his friend lost his virginity and tried bragging about it and he just broke. Simply broke.

He poured his heart and soul out to his friends, and some of them took the news fine, being old enough and mature enough to understand that this was a big deal and meant a lot to him. The others however did not realise how much it had been eating Derek up inside, and pushed him around in the beginning a little bit but over all they took the news very well and nothing much changed.

The next week he told his parents. He had originally planned to tell them that night, but could not bring himself to as he was too worried that they wouldn't accept it. He was scared shitless. After having a prep talk from his best friend and realising he needed to man up, he told his parents.

They were sat at the dining table, all 5 of them and just as they finished eating, Derek blurted it out. He kept his eyes downcast, fiddling with his fingers under the table.