Chapter 8

Derek shot up from his bed in a state of panic as adrenaline coursed through his veins and fear through his mind. It was a dream, a simple, not real dream that was simply the result of too much worry and too little sleep.

It had felt so real though. Too real.

Derek collapsed back into his bed, stuffing his face under his pillow as he let a small, shaky breath escape him. He slowly removed the pillow, feeling calm enough now to look at the alarm clock next to his bed.

06:15

He had another hour and 15 minutes until his alarm went off. Instead of heading back into a mother restless sleep, he decided to get up and go for that much needed shower he had been dreaming of since the night before.

He stripped his clothes in a matter of seconds and made his way to his en suite, turning the shower to piping hot and stepping underneath the jets of water before it had even had the chance to warm up properly.

The cold was a shock against his skin, but it also forced him awake as his eyes shot open and muscles contracted.

He hadn't been to the gym in a few days, he would probably go tonight.

However Derek has other, more important priorities rather than his own obsessive exercise so he decided it could wait until he had the time. He lathered his hair with shampoo and also cane to the conclusion that he was in desperate need of a haircut.

That could wait also.

After seemingly minutes in the shower Derek heard his alarm clock go off, meaning it was now 07:30. He had been in the shower for over an hour. It was easily done.

Derek jumped out the shower, towel dried his hair and made quick work of getting dressed, wanting to go grab himself a coffee before work so he could function for the 12 hour shift he had ahead of him.

The car journey was quick and as Derek pulled into the hospital car park, he just knew that today was going to be busy, which meant very limited time to spend trying to coax more of an explanation out of stiles.

He doesn't mean that harshly, the only thing he wants to do is help the boy, however he was getting so frustrated with himself at not being able to understand what had happened to him.

The dreams gave him a good, very realistic idea but it was only a dream and could be terribly wrong display of what stiles' life was actually like.

Derek also had other patients to deal with, and yes they were also undeniably important, however non of them that he had dealt with were mental health related and most were in an out in a few days or weeks, depending on the severity of their injuries. However stiles were self inflicted, meaning he would do that to himself again without thinking about it and Derek would not be able to live with himself if he simply let stiles be on his way once he was healed then for him to rock up as a corpse next week.

Derek tried to forget that image as he wanders into the hospital, heading straight for the locker room to collect his scrubs before his long day of work.

Having changed Derek strode down the corridors, heading to check on stiles for the first time that day, however as he turned the corner he was met with 5 stretchers filled with people, clearly injured and was on it instantly as his name was called out by another doctor.

Derek ran over to the stretchers, forgetting about stiles momentarily as his instincts kicked in as he ran one of the 5 people directly into the theatre room.

————————

Derek had a long long day. He'd spent hours acting as one of the doctors in the emergency surgery room, stitching, gluing , fixing etc all his patients and had no break.