Self Care is Important, Kids

Harry Mason was honestly incredibly surprised he got into college. Not because he was dumb, but because he didn't think he had the money to pay for college. When he was 14 his father lost his job. Sad, but his mother was a lawyer who made lots of money, so as long as their father searched diligently everything would be fine. That's what Harry thought for two years, but then Mom went to work on a case and never came back.

They said she was killed as soon as the car hit her.

Soon after, Harry's father found a job as a sewage worker. They were a paycheck to paycheck family, living in a lowly apartment in the bad part of town. School wasn't appealing in the slightest either, as Harry was known as the 'freaky kid who has to get a job to sustain his family'. That's right, he had to find work, which ended up with him working as a waiter. He met his closest friend, Katelyn Black on the job.

It had been a normal night in February, which meant most people there would be on dates. Katelyn had walked in, claiming her date was just late. He never showed up. Feeling bad, Harry bought her a drink and introduced himself, the two becoming friends instantly. It might've helped they were in the same grade and went to the same school.

Around a year later Kate doing out her date stood her up for a cheerleader that wanted his money.

Anyway, it broke Harry's heart when Kate told him she had gotten into college. Not just any college either, Columbus University. Basically. he would be left alone in a dusty house, with a father who always smells like dirty water and a little brother who wanted more than anything to join the U.S. Army.

Honestly, he had to thank whoever decided he'd be good for a scholarship, because that's the only way he got into college. Kate, the kind soul she had, baked an entire cake in celebration. She also said she was proud of her child for coming to college with her, but that's a whole other thing to unpack. She even bought him a phone because of how proud she was, courtesy of her parents.

Harry liked Kate's roommates a lot. Max was absolutely crazy and wanted to know every little thing about everything. The two had quickly bonded over their similar interests. Peggy, on the other hand...

Well, Peggy kept asking Harry about everything. His interests, how he grew up, whether he believed in reincarnation... It was all very strange. Today, according to Max and Kate, was going to be a day off bonding for him and Peggy. Harry was sure she put the other two up to this.

That was how they got to this moment, playing an incredibly tense game of Uno while it was raining heavily outside.

"Draw four," Harry said, placing down a wild draw for card. Peggy cursed under her breath before complying. She had been very close to getting Uno. "The color is yellow."

Peggy smiled and put down a yellow skip. "Skipped," she then put down a blue skip, "wow, skipped again!" She ended with a blue five. Harry stuck his tongue out at her. He was at two cards, so she was doing everything in her power to stop him.

He put down another' wild. "The color is yellow." Peggy jumped out of her seat, eyes blazing.

"YOU DIDN'T SAY UNO!" Harry smacked the table, angry at himself. He begrudgingly picked up the cards she exiled him to. Peggy sat down, face smug. "Hey...I want to apologise." She confessed, a slight blush on her cheeks.

Harry looked up from his cards in surprise. "For what?"

"Bothering you about everything." Peggy said, plucking an eyelash with her fingers. "It's obviously making you uncomfortable and that's the last thing I want to do."

Startled, Harry blinked. Then he smiled softly. If Peggy was home enough to apologise for making him uncomfortable, maybe she wasn't so bad. "Apology accepted."