The start

"Violet are you up yet? You'll be late for school." I can hear mom's voice echo through the entry way of my door. I groan and look at the clock that had been going off for the past ten minutes.

"Yeah mom." I yell back notifying her that I'm aware of the time. I off my alarm and get out of bed opening up the curtains. My phone dings and I ignore it trying to find an outfit to wear.

Ding
Ding
Ding
Ding
Ding

"What now!" I yell in frustration opening my phone. My best friend Starlet annoying me as always. I read the message and my mouth drops.

Idiot: Guess what!
Idiot: There's a new guy in school can you believe that!?
Idiot: I overheard some rumors saying he's not from around here.
Idiot: HE'S HOT
Idiot: Wya I'm literally stuck in between smelly people ugh. Hurry!

I laugh and off my phone. And what if this "new guy" is hot? He's just another human being that we'll see. No surprise there.

"Violet I need you to dress a little faster I'm going to be late for work." Mom passes by my room.

"Okay boss."
———

"Got everything?" Mom asks as she starts the engine. She passes me my favorite peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I smile and hug her.

"You may be old, but you got some pretty good memory. A+ for effort." She shoves my head away and laughs. "You know I'm right mom."

"Did your dad message you yet?" She turns to face me as I roll my eyes.

I ignore her and look out the window trying to not make eye contact. "He's a busy man Vee, I'm sure when he's out of his business trip he'll be sure to message you. If it weren't for your dad we wouldn't be able to pay the bills."

"He's always at work. If he ever even comes home he only stays for a day or even five hours the most then leaves." It's sad knowing that I can never see my dad everyday. Every breakfast and every meal. The last time we ever heard from him was Christmas, nothing after that.

Finally on campus, mom parks her car and looks at me, she sighs and places her hand on mine.

"I know how you feel. I promise you this won't last forever, he'll retire soon and we can all be one big happy family again. Be safe. I love you." She kisses my cheek and I smile back.

"I love you too mom." I get out of the car and she drives away.

Intercom: Gooooood morning LakeWood High. Don't forget to sign up at the front desk if you are still interested in volunteering for the school sports night. Have a great day!"

Since when did they ever have a sports night?

"VIOLET!" I fall to the floor butt first. I look up in shock to see Starlet suffocating me. "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN IT'S BEEN AGES I THOUGHT YOU DIED."

"I was just late for school." I roll my eyes. "Pick me up!" I cry out and she laughs. I grab my bag off the ground and I smirk.

"Does Prince Charming know about you having a huuuuge crush on him?" I wink. Her face suddenly turns red and looks away.

"Stop it Vee you are so mean." She pouts.

"Okay okay let's go cry baby."

———

"Good morning class." Mrs. Wills greets us as we take our seat. "I'm aware that everyone has already heard of the new student. He will be joining us for the rest of the year and I hope you will all welcome him to the class." She smiles and turns her head to the door way.