11. A Pirate's Threat

I crashed down on my cot without even taking my boots I borrowed from Christopher off. I don't know how those pirates did it, but I was exhausted from that day's events when clearly, they were not. It seemed they could go all night!

I managed to fall asleep for a couple of minutes before I heard footsteps coming to my door. Now, who in the world do you think that was?

The door creaked open. "Why are you asleep? You have to unload the supplies," Christopher said. What was it with this man?

I grunted. Couldn't the pirate allow me to sleep? I'd been through hell, from trying to survive a raid to stealing from a village to escaping a crying baby, which let me tell you was no easy task.

It's quite a wonder how we managed even to escape without getting caught. I mean, we had to rush out of the house where we met Fish and Stone, and there, we raced to the ship, picking up the other men. We made it just in time before waking up the town.

Face still on the pillow, I sighed. "Have fun doing that then. I'm tired; I think I'll stay here, thank you."

"I order you to get up," Christopher said. I knew a smug smile was shining brightly on his stupid face. He was enjoying this.

"Try no for a change, Captain. You'll find it's useful for most things. Now, leave me alone. You worked me to death, and I deserve some rest."

It was silent for a moment. I thought Christopher walked away and that I won, but I was wrong, so very wrong. "You are working on this ship to stay in this room, darling. I expect you to earn your keep, and that means doing the things I order you to do, and right now, I order you to get up and help the men unload."

Wretched man. A complete disciple of the devil.

"It's a wonder that you're not dead yet," I said, sitting up and rubbing my eyes. "I mean, someone should have murdered you by now."

He smirked. "Yeah, well, I guess I'm just too incredible a pirate and man to die. Someone up there wants me alive."

I found that hard to believe.

"Maybe I was meant to make the kill. It could be faith."

"I doubt that now get a move on, darling. Skip is underdeck, unloading most of the supplies. You can help him down there," Christopher said.

"Fine, but answer me this: how does one have so many enemies and is still not dead."

"Well, you see, darling," he said, charming as ever. "I am very well known. I never said I'm liked, but believe me when I say I'm well known. And that fact results in me being alive. Nobody wants to challenge me, but there are still some stupid enough to try, now stop stalling and go."

Was that so?

Furious with my failed attempt to escape, I growled, stood up, and walked past Christopher, bumping my shoulder against his. As I was making my way down the corridor, Christopher shouted to me, "Stop your growling, after your done, you can sleep, but right now, you work for me!"

Like I haven't noticed.

***

"Ahh! I think I just saw a rat!"

"Ye probably did."

"What! You brought me down here knowing there are rats!"

"If that's the way ye want te look at it."

I stepped on his foot, making sure to put all my weight on that one foot alone. He winced in pain. "Why'd ye do that fer?" He barked.

"What, it was an accident," I said. "It's dark down here."