30. A Pirate's Secret

"No."

"Yes."

"No"

"Yes."

"No, and no again."

"Why not?"

I stayed silent for a moment and just stared at him expressionlessly. This man must have been out of his mind.

I blinked once. I blicked twice, and still, Christopher seemed not to be getting the hint.

"Christopher," I said steadily. Easy does it, Anne.

"Yes?"

I took a deep breath. "We are scaling a wall."

He tilted his head, making a few strands of hair fall on his forehead. "So?"

I lost it. "So? What do you mean so! We are scaling a bloody wall for Christ's sake! I exclaimed.

"I still don't see the problem. I made it very clear - we are scaling this wall. That is what one does to get on the other side."

I half laughed. "Not me. I don't climb. You climb, but I don't."

"Well, you wanted to-"

I threw my arms up in the air. "Fine!" I shouted in a voice a little louder than a whisper. "You win. Fine, I'll climb the bloody wall." I stormed past him to the nearest garden wall, mumbling a stream of curses with the feeling that a smiling somebody was following me.

I stopped at the wall, and I stood and looked up at the challenge that laid ahead - literally.

"So, how are we going to do this?" I asked, still staring at the tall structure.

"Simple. Two hands and two feet on the wall. It's an easy concept," Christopher said smartly.

I scoffed at him, and before he could do anything about it, I tried to do what he told me to do - for once.

Just one hand here and a foot there and- oh, damn it! Why did it hurt so much? But I was doing good (surprisingly). That was until I slipped. Suddenly, I wasn't on the wall anymore.

"I got ye." And like in a scary dream, I ended up in Christopher's arms, cradled into his muscular chest.

I panted, trying to catch my breath while squeezing in a 'thank you,' and 'please don't let me do it again.'

The pirate just laughed. He laughed. "I was only playing with you, darling. I didn't think you would go through with it, though. Luckily, I was here to catch you. How fortunate."

Still, in Christopher's arms, I shot him a scornful look. "Yes. Lucky me. Lucky me to almost die-"

"And be caught by me."

"Sure. Whatever you want to call it."

"Am I wrong?"

I was silent for a moment. "Just... just put me down." He put me back on my feet. "Alright, now." I turned to face him. "How are we supposed to get out of this place?"

He pointed behind me. I turned around and found a gate right behind me. How could I be so blind and mostly, so stupid?

"Oh."

"Yup. Let's go." He grabbed my arm and pulled me along, right to the gate where he unlocked it and continued to drag me. I followed him willingly, excited for the wonders about to be revealed.

"So, where are we going? What are we going to do? Who are we going to meet?" I said, a bit too excited than I intended to be. We stopped in front of the street. He pulled out a pocket watch from his pocket.