20. Shopping With The Pirate

We hit the docks midday, leaving us just enough time to get our necessary supplies for the ball.

Christopher had said the ball wasn't until a week, but Lady Wheat, the lady of the house we were staying at, said that it would be a chaining event, meaning that we would have to be there longer than a day. And I wasn't exactly excited about that as you probably already guessed.

"So, where are we going to get these 'necessary' supplies from anyway?" I asked Christopher, coming off the ship. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a good-sized bag of shillings.

"From the best tailor money can buy, of course," he said with a smile. We walked up past the docks until we came to the busy part of the town. There, we got into a carriage.

"So, what about the men?" I asked, looking out the window at the passing scenery. Today was a busy day, people doing their shopping and business, just casually walking the streets on this beautiful autumn afternoon.

"They have some business they have to run for me." Business, ah? My, oh, my, does he ever mean steal things? Predictable.

"Ahh," I said, nodding my head, still looking out the window.

"Listen, I need you to look at me for a moment." I turned to look at him.

"Why?"

"Because," he pulled out a tricorn hat and placed it on top of my head, making sure to tuck my hair. "It's not exactly right to have a woman in men's clothing here or anywhere."

"Why couldn't I put on that dress I had on before?" I asked.

Christopher cleared his throat. "Well, I'd prefer you not to wear something... worn."

"I wore it before."

Christopher cleared his throat once more and thinned his lips. "That was one time. I'd prefer you to wear that over that dress."

I didn't say anything after that, and neither did Christopher. And for the rest of the time, when we were in the carriage, we stayed silent until the driver stopped. We had reached our destination.

When the door opened and Christopher I and I got out, Christopher acted immediately, and pulled out his purse, and dropped a shilling into the man's hand.

"Five pounds, mate, ye gave me one," the driver argued, narrowing his eyes at Christopher.

Christopher didn't react to this, though, and kept a straight, happy face. I was going to make a run for it, seeing as the man looked like he could beat both of us into a pulp when I saw what my companion was doing.

He pulled back his coat, rested his hands on his hips, and met the driver's death glare. "Is there a problem?" Christopher asked, his voice stern.

The man looked like he was going to go in for a punch when something caught his eye and that something was a pointy daggerthat hung onto Christopher's belt. He widened his eyes.

"I-I see, well. I best be gettin' on my way. Good day to ye both," and the man tipped his hat, got on his carriage, and drove away. I almost wanted to yell, 'take me with you!' until I saw the proud smile on Christopher's face.

I turned to him and punched his arm. "Was that necessary?" I asked. He was still watching the carriage drive away when he turned to look at me.

"What?"

"You couldn't have given him four more shillings?"

He shrugged. "He was robbing us blind. I couldn't just let him take my money."

I crossed my arms. "So, you don't want that man to do what you do to other people."

He gave a broad smile, shiny and bright. "Precisely," and he walked off to the door of the tailor's, leaving me to follow him.