The Road So Far

The Road So Far

"Sam? What're you doing here? I thought I told you to run!" Dean gasped, wiping the blood away from his eyes as he shoved the headless vampire off of him.

I rolled my eyes, grabbing his hand to heave him up. "And I thought I told you that I wasn't leaving you behind."

"I'm sorry, Sammy, but I can't let them hurt you," he whispered and, with one last shove, I fell, water slipping into my mouth as I screamed against the current, the water wrapping its cold embrace around my body and immediately pushing me down the stream.

"Dean! No! Stop!" I cried out, thrashing against the water, but it was of no use. I was helpless and all I could do was watch as he raised his weapon towards the group of vampires racing towards him.

And the last thing I saw before the water tugged me down was Dean's body falling to the ground, his scream piercing the air.

...

My eyes fell down to the grave that laid in front of my feet, the words Dean Winchester written on the front of the tombstone.

"This is all my fault," I gasped out into the cold night air, tears pouring out from my eyes. "This is all my fault."

"Oh, Sam," the voice croaked from above me, "Sammy, please stop."

I pulled back and gazed into the man's eyes, desperately trying to tell myself that we would be okay, that he would be okay, but all I could see was the shell of the person he used to be, the pair of fangs glistening in the moon light.

"I'm so sorry, Dean," I gasped then I let myself cry freely.

Let myself mourn the human he had once been.

...

"You're a vampire now."

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, not sure what part about myself that I hated the most. How the sclera of my eye was now all black that it was now indecipherable from my pupil, or the pair of fangs that poked out from my upper lip and glistened over the florescent lights of the motel bathroom.

"I'm a monster."

"No, you're alive."

"What the hell did you do to me?" I snarled, almost giving myself whiplash with how quickly my head turned to glare at the vampire standing beside me. "You were supposed to kill me! I'm supposed to be dead right now!"

"We're not all killing machines. Some of us do have our humanity left." He continued when I hadn't of said anything. I slowly released my grip.

"What's in it for you?" I finally asked, hating the spark of hope that shot through me at the thought. I didn't want to get my hopes up - didn't want to believe that things could be so easy. However, it was hard not too. I wanted to see Sam again. I wanted to tell him that I was sorry.

That I loved him.

The vampire pursed his lips thoughtfully. "All I ask is for you to call me by my name," he said simply and I raised a brow skeptically, watching as he adjusted his ruffled clothes before he stuck out his hand towards me. "Castiel. It's a pleasure to meet you again, Dean."

...

"I...I don't understand. How? I thought...I saw you go down and...how did you fight them off?" I gasped out, stumbling over my words. I had so many question to ask him. Where have you been? Why didn't you call me? How did you know that I'd be here? However, just as I was about to ask them, I felt him stiffen from underneath my arms.