Chapter Twenty Eight

The ground crunched under her feet, twigs snapping and leaves sliding under her soles as Lily kept walking north. The sun was setting on her left so she knew she was heading the right way, if Jacob was to be trusted. The night began to chill her bones, her jumper not doing much to warm her, so she kept walking. Lily hoped she'd see the rogues soon just so she could stop walking.

She wanted Poppy to be safe. No one was going to die because of her.

Lily knew what it was like to lose family - she wasn't going to share that weight with anyone if she could help it.

She ducked under a low hanging branch, leaves snagging in her long red hair, as she reached the peak of a hill. The deep sunlight gleaned off the still-wet leaves from this morning's shower but the beauty of her home still caught Lily's breath. Despite everything that had happened to her, she was grateful this town was home.

If only murderous rogues hadn't ruined her day, then maybe she could smile, but she had to keep moving.

Just as she took a step, Lily spotted something moving in the shadows at the base of the hill. Amongst the trees, she glimpsed wolves prowling in the darkness, avoiding the glistening light of the sun. Lily felt their stares.

I guess Jacob was right. She thought sadly, dreading what was to come. Slowly she made her way down the hill, hoping she didn't fall in front of how many people that were watching. She gripped the trees that seemed stretched out to hold her back, to stop her from handing herself over, but she ducked under their skeletal fingers and stood over their hazardous roots.

When Lily stood at the base of the hill she could glimpse a clearing ahead. People and wolves stood in the dying light of the sun, waiting for her.

Lily shoved her anxiety down. Clenching her fists, she shook her fears enough so she could begin walking. She couldn't help but remember what Jacob had said hours ago, that Yuric couldn't kill her. She was going to be fine. Poppy was going to be fine.

She'd come back home to her aunt and they could all learn together what Lily and her family were.

Lily held onto that wish as she stepped into the clearing, the snarling wolf sentries stepping out as well. Lily paid them no mind as she saw what was before her.

Poppy was on her knees, hands behind her back, and the escapee rogue stood behind her with a knife drawn. She'd been crying but she wasn't bruised from what Lily could see. She was wearing a lovely dress with a jacket. Pity sunk in Lily's stomach as she remembered Poppy had been on a date before she was kidnapped. She hoped it didn't ruin her time with her crush, that she had some semblance of happiness before they took her away.

The escapee narrowed his eyes, looking behind her. "You came alone?"

Lily nodded. "Let Poppy go. I'm here, I'll go with you."

The rogue laughed. "That's not how this works, little river. You come to us, and then the wolf can run along."

Poppy whimpered as the rogue shifted his grip on the knife and Lily gasped, panicking as Poppy paled in fear. "I won't go anywhere if she's harmed. Let her go, I can't outrun you."

The rogue paused, looking Lily up and down: from her scuffed shoes to dirty jeans, old jumper and unbound hair. She appeared harmless. However he knew better, he'd seen her beat up two of his best men over an alpha child, knew the power under those fingers when she'd flung him across a field and into a tree.

Lily might not be able to outrun them but she certainly could give them hell.

"Grab her." He ordered, and Lily tensed when two werewolves grabbed each of her arms, pinning her in place. When he saw Lily was firmly in their grasp, he sliced the rope around Poppy's hands and whispered into his hostage's ear. "Outrun my wolves and you may live."