Chapter Fifteen

Haidan didn't know how he'd been persuaded to go on an adventure such as this but somehow he was at the edge of the forest by the Guthrie's street dreading the idea of interacting with everyone.

He didn't like crowds. He preferred to quietly rest with people he was close to; around a campfire, over a movie with a bowl of popcorn nestled between them, picnics or trails. He was always the most himself when he wasn't swamped with others.

And yet, he was standing at the beginning of this trail with a bag on his back, stocked with food and water Cay had packed, looking ahead with dread.

Jack slapped his shoulder, startling him. He could always predict her movements, her mannerisms, and knew she'd smile wickedly at him with a gleam in her eyes. "Come on, hot shot, it's only a twenty-three minute hike down a mountain - what could possibly go wrong?"

Avalanches? Mudslides? Landslides? Freak storms? Spider bites? "You say that, but look at who's coming, Jack." Haidan looked around at the large group of them heading on the spontaneous trip. "What couldn't go wrong?"

Jack frowned, her eyes resting longer on Cody leading the group with Nick, her bright pink one-shoulder swimsuit peaking out over her white shirt. "$10 says someone injures themselves?"

"$20 that someone injures someone else?"

"You're on." Jack smirked. "I bet someone injures Cody."

"I bet it's you." Haidan looked between the two witches with a raised eyebrow, knowing there was a fiery tension needing to be settled. Two witches, both told they were the most powerful, and the title could only be held by one.

Jack shrugged, running her ring-clad fingers through her short, dark hair. Haidan missed the determined glare in her eyes, distracted by the sun glinting off her jewellery. The sun rays sizzled over his skin and Haidan quickly tugged his sleeves further over his wrists. "Look, I'm just saying for legal reasons I can't tell you anything so you won't be held accountable."

"That doesn't work if there's witnesses." Haidan began walking towards the track and Jack skipped further ahead.

"Who said anything about witnesses?" Jack laughed, leaping into the forest, leaving Haidan standing at the edge, hesitating.

He was meant to be discovering more about his phoenix side, his abilities. He was meant to be learning about the supernatural, he promised his mum he would learn all he could. His fingers twisted around his bag straps, his feet firmly planted on the line of the track. He could hear them all laughing ahead; the Guthrie's, Cody, Jack as well. What was he doing making memories when he was supposed to be making revelations?

"Haidan?"

Haidan jumped, turning to see Lily standing behind him. Her red hair had been twisted into a long plait by Cay, swaying to the side of her cocked head and brushing the large, white cover-up hiding her blue singlet and black shorts beneath. Haidan blinked at her curvy and pale legs in the sunlight, wondering why her socks were so high on her calves, when Lily motioned to the track with her free arm.

"Shall we go?" Lily asked quietly, her dark eyes resting calmly on him.

"Yeah," Haidan forced out, frowning at the mysterious red-head. While he could read Jack, Lily was impossible. He knew she was loyal and calm, level-headed, but there was more beneath the surface he couldn't see. "I'm surprised you're not with the others."

"I might need a hand getting down the track." Lily admitted, following Haidan's steps as they walked into the undergrowth. Darkness immediately hid the sun rays from his skin, the cold seeping in from the shadows.