(0) Chosen Sacrifices

The earth was ravaged with death and decay, with the rustic smell of blood everywhere. The birds were dead, the insects lifeless. Human bodies lay piled up in makeshift mountains that towered over the treetops. Yet, among all of this desolation and despair, a single light shone.

"God dammit! We didn't get here fast enough!"

The voice originated from a white haired priestess stationed in the middle of the group of travelers.

"Gloria, are you sure you should be denouncing your god's name like that?"

A red haired girl swung around to ask Gloria with a somewhat mischievous smirk. A soft clang was made when her twin swords touched each other. When she had first seen the genocides she had reacted with the same enthusiasm, but now the scene had grown far to common.

"Pshha, Lady Astraea is a benevolent, and open minded goddess. The complete and utter opposite of you, Brianna."

"Why you little!" 

Suddenly a mountain, no a human three meters tall picked up the two of them up by the collars of their clothing akin to a mother cat picking up her kittens.

"Adrian's saying to knock it off, you two."

A human wielding a staff much taller than he was, stepped out of Adrian's shadow.

"Buttt, Noah-"

 "What's going on here?"

A sudden imposing presence made itself known, but under it's hard exterior was the everlasting presence of hope. It was the leader of the chosen ones, the hero.

"Oh Alan, these two were fighting again."

"Again?"

The two girls had the decency to blush a little out of shame. Alan suddenly looked toward his right, and let out a small smile.

"Reina, did you find anything?"

A woman suddenly appeared in front of the chosen ones. Her short hair was cut at neck length, with a flower ornament adorning her black locks. Her eyes were severe and told a story of hardship as well as misery. A bright red veil covered her face stowing away the majority of her facial features. She was also the assassin of the group.

"No problems. The only demons left are gathering at the Demonic Sovereign's castle as a final stand against us."

Alan let his mouth slowly curve into a smile. The war had been hard with blood and death everywhere, almost staining the land in a permanent red. It had nearly robbed him of his ability to smile as well when his parents died. His companions, no his friends were the only thing left in this world that wasn't filled with despair. Soon the world would be freed of despair as well, when they finally defeated the Sovereign. it was far overdue.

"Let's go. This will be the final battle everyone!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a castle with steep walls, glaring trenches, and an evil dark paint job, the chosen ones were battling the Demonic Sovereign. Sounds of metal, and the whispers of arcane had been the only sounds in the grand throne room for the last half hour. Gradually, the chosen ones were starting to have an advantage over the arrogant demon sovereign. In the millisecond that the demon let his guard down, Reina managed a deep cut on his torso. After that, the demon that had never known pain started to accumulate more cuts and burns.

At last, the turning point arrived.

"Prepare to die!"