(2) Trial of the Nameless

Excerpt from 'Old Newspaper with a blank side'  by Reina 

GOALS:

1: Visit ancient ruins, and inheritances to learn more skills

2: Collect Sacred Tears to offset the God's hidden curse (???)

3: Do daily training regimen (kind of obvious, but whatever)

4: Go to the capital, blackmail some people, and get the job inheritance ceremony for          Dancer Of The End.

5: Kill all of Red Rain

Reina looked up from the list she was making. She had a feeling she was missing something, and it was bugging her. But, what thing could she take on with her current strength? Her intuition would be screaming if it was dangerous.

'Ahh! The Trial of the Nameless is near here!'

6: Get Anonymous Killer from the Trial of the Nameless at all costs!

The Nameless Trial was a very peculiar inheritance. The less famous you were, the more likely you were to obtain top tier equipment. Although your strength had to pass the minimum threshold, it was the best way for newbies to get good equipment. Reina had actually done some research in the past as to who the set up the inheritance because of her curiosity.

It was a dwarf named Bob. Bob lived in a generation where there was another party on par with the hero party, and he was the team's blacksmith. You see, Bob was a soul that craved for fame, but... he was a blacksmith. He couldn't swing a sword, fire powerful arrows, or shoot fireballs. His one talent, forging weapons, was unusable because he signed a contract with the team to only provide weapons for them. Mainly because the team feared the weapons would somehow get to the rival team, the chosen ones. It's pretty stupid, but that's what happened.

In the meantime, Bob was starting to get angry. Everyone on the continent knew who his team were, but he was just 'Bob' or in rare cases 'the really good blacksmith'. Compared to the splendor of 'Heavenly Sword Saint', and 'The Ancient Sage' it was natural he felt angry. In an act of defiance, Bob put his best works and masterpieces in this inheritance. As he wasn't 'selling' anything the contract didn't punish him. His hatred of famous people made it so only people like him could get out alive. It's said that even if a dragon entered, if he was famous, he would die to the endless amount of traps, and explosions.

Reina got a good laugh out of the extra-ordinary dwarf who was named Bob out of all things. But she only dared to look and not touch the inheritance as she was already a pretty famous assassin at the time. The death traps that Bob planted were no joke. The only reason she managed to get Anonymous Killer was because of her purge of Red Rain. A newbie who just joined the organization that day ended up handing it to her in exchange of his life. Bob, in truth didn't care what would happen to the newbies who got the legendary equipment as long as he got revenge on famous people who were lured in by the riches. 

But now, she was about as famous as bowl of old soup. The problem was that as she was now, she didn't even meet the minimum threshold. 

'If I train my body using that method... My body will reach the required level needed.'

In truth, the only difference between the regular method and this method is mana.  You have to stimulate the muscle groups while exercising, and fluctuate the mana at a set pattern. The only real problem was the mana impurities left behind in the muscles, if your mana wasn't 100% pure. Enhancement didn't leave impurities simply because it was coated on the outside of the muscle or organ.

In this world, the optimal age to improve mana quality was 6-13 years old. Mana quality decreases the original amount needed for magic, the time needed for the spell to form, and is very healthy for the body in a pure state.  It just so happened that Reina was technically ten. Theoretically, she could refine her mana's purity at the same time. However, if her control wasn't enough, she'd explode.

'..Fine, I'll do it. If I want to kill gods, then risking explosion is nothing!'

Reina put down her pen.

'First, I'll need to find a better source of natural mana to synchronize to. Just remembering the state that my mana was in before isn't enough.'

She quickly tried to recall the warmest memories she had ever experienced. Her aura slowly started to turn warm akin to the first bud of spring after a long and harsh winter. Her aura slowly spread out eventually covering two miles of forest and greenery. Strangely, the magical beasts didn't seem to be offended by the invasion of their territory, only feeling safety, and warmth. Some places were smoother than others however. There were approximately six locations that had a 'pure' feeling. Her senses disconnected with a snap when she sensed 'that'. The pure greed and panic was sickening.

Reina hurriedly turned to the north, and began running at high speed. A unicorn was dying. She couldn't deal with an enemy that strong just yet, but she could support the unicorn using magic. It would at the very least buy her time that she desperately needed. If the unicorn died, all of the magical beasts would howl in rage and start going berserk. All creatures in a forest were on good terms with a unicorn for they had the noblest of characters, and the most generous hearts. At least 80% of the magical beasts heavily injured here were cured by a unicorn. 

Where there is risk there is also rewards, this saying rung true. All of the parts of a unicorn's body could be used to heal someone on the verge of death with the addition of a couple common ingredients. The horn of a unicorn could even increase the quality of your mana several folds. Needless to say, it also had a healing effect.

But, killing a unicorn in a forest was like asking everyone to go and die. It wasn't that hard for a mage at the level needed to hunt a unicorn to completely suppress all signs of a unicorns death.

'If they aren't... Are they trying to kill someone with a beast tide?'

Reina suddenly stopped to kneel on the ground.

'So they're using teleportation circles, huh? Their mage is pretty accomplished. Well, compared to the mages during the war this guy's nothing special.'

Reina's finger began to light up with a white milky color. She promptly plopped her finger in the center of the array. Her mana began to invade the circle gently prodding, and stretching to see the flaws of the circle. Gradually, her mana began to infiltrate the circle. However, it was to no avail. She couldn't destroy the circle with the amount of mana she currently had. 

'If I can't destroy it, I'll change your destination.'

Her face lit up with a sinister smile. In the next split second, the light on her finger turned an icy blue, and the mana that had been gently prodding and messaging turned into a vicious snake. It rushed toward the center, changed the spatial coordinates, and finally dissipated. The defense mechanism couldn't find anything wrong with the circle. Reina 1, Mage 0.

However, what happened next made her freeze. The unicorn's life force was rapidly diminishing.