Target Practice - Part 11

Love enables us to get beyond a superficial relation to things and bring out the best in lovers, at least that's what Plato had said

   Love enables us to get beyond a superficial relation to things and bring out the best in lovers, at least that's what Plato had said. Love in the history of the human race was seen as a supernatural force. Wether it be that from Greek Gods, or a suspicious spell a witch had casted on an innocent victim, love has always been there.

To some the idea of love is absurd, and to others they can't live without the thought of having a soulmate. The former of those two is where you land as of now.

Growing up you had read about the different forms of love, as in the bond between mother and daughter and the bond between spouses. Each at opposite ends of the spectrum.

The bright eyed seven year old you proclaimed to the world that she was going to find her soulmate one day, and when she does her life would be fulfilled.

The mentally drained thirteen year old you cowered away from any physical forms of affection, because she didn't want her soulmate to be ripped away from her like her family was. She believed that anyone she got close to would leave her.

Now, the seventeen year old you goes through her life blind eyed to her surroundings. She isn't particularly interested in what happens anymore. She only counts down the days until she can fall off the grid and live a peaceful life.

What is a life without love? Not just love from a partner, but the kind of love a father feels for his newborn child, or the kind of love a best friend feels when they stand tall next to their partner in crime. Well, it is an empty one, it is a life where every color has begun to mix into a dull grey and sounds have become mute.

Distinct memories from years ago resurface when you're least expecting, sometimes it'll be when you're lying in bed late at night, struggling to fall asleep. Other times it's when the hot droplets of water run through your hair in the shower, either way it never feels good when these memories come back. Memories of missing family members, they haunt you. Just another reason to chain up and lock your heart, keeping the key far away in range from any nosy acquaintances.

But eventually the metal chains will rust, and the lock becomes so heavy that it snaps the weak link between chains. That is how Peter Parker has begun to wiggle his way beneath those chains.

Peter Parker, the boy who in the beginning you didn't want anything to do with, is now the first person you've gotten considerably closer to within the past five years. You hate it. You want to shove him away, lock him out of your heart, but something deep inside makes you feel like you can't.

"Take off your clothes."

Peter stands nervously between you and another agent from shield, the dark room overcast shadows that dance around on his face. The dark circles under his eyes are blended in with the rest of his shaded face.

You rest your hand on the top of your hip, a playful smirk tugs at your lips and you say, "well you heard the woman Peter, aren't you gonna take off your clothes?"