Gone - part 16

"The scariest moment was seeing my life continue without you

"The scariest moment was seeing my life continue without you."

"Peter... please help me!"

In a world where time feels almost meaningless, a mere second can make a world of a difference. When two fingertips are about to connect, an extra second spares them from a lifetime of pain and guilt. However, for Peter Parker he didn't get that generous second. With that second, he would have been able to reach out just a little further and grab onto your wrist, unfortunately your fingers slipped  between his own, and instead he watched your body fall.

To be a hero means to not only be physically strong, but mentally as well. Heroes are tested everyday on their strength. Peter Parker thought he had it together, but survivors guilt claws at the pit of his stomach, and it scratches at his heart.

He just watched the girl he had shared so many new memories and feelings with, die at arms length.

Why didn't he act sooner? Why didn't he use his spiderwebs to catch your falling frame? Why, just why, did you insist on coming with him to go fight Beck?

-

"To the man that brought us all together, to our former boss, Tony Stark!"

-

"I hate him." You had seethed as you used your uninjured arm to push yourself off the now unstable ground.

"Y/n, take it easy, pushing yourself to fight isn't going to help." Peter had tried to comfort, while placing a steady hand on your shoulder.

The buildings around you crumbled as Peter tried to figure out where Beck had gone. Everything was to be assumed as untrustworthy, that's what you had told Peter as the scenery began changing rapidly thanks to the drones flying around haphazardly. The drones that Mysterio had set out to destroy you and Peter.

"I can still fight," you rubbed some dirt from off your face, "I've been trained to handle stressful situations. I'm good. I told you before, I want to be here and fight him with you."

Something that you weren't trained for, however, was the ground suddenly disappearing from beneath your own two feet.

Buildings fell to a crash as the setting changed again, this time, though, Peter seemed to be the only one safe from this change. As he was securely planted on the open rooftop of a massive concrete building, while you were left dangling onto the side, only one hand gripping at the wall while your injured arm fell loose beside your body.