Chapter 1

My bare feet hit the ground hard, sending electrical zingers up my calves. I didn't have time to dwell on the pounding pain, I had to keep moving. I had to run.

I threw my duffle bag over my shoulder and ran like the dogs were chasing me. Ignoring the stabbing sensations rocketing through my feet. Sticks and leaves snapping beneath my weight.

My chest was heavy, my arms worked overtime pumping back and forth; and by the grace of God, I finally made it into the tree line without anyone noticing some crazy girl running. I sighed with relief, finally protected by shadows of the large evergreens above and around me. Losing myself in the dense greenery of the forest.

I could finally breathe again. In and out. In and out, deep breathes, Alexis.

I looked down at the notebook page crumpled in my hand:

'Out for Milk ♡ Bas'.

I shook my head in disbelief. We had been so careful to cover our tracks, but this code. The code meant our whole operation had gone to shit and the law would be coming for all four of us. Now all I could do was wait for Bastian to come and take me to safety.

The vibrations of my burner phone sprung to life in my pocket, making my heart race through my chest.

"Bas?!" I whisper-yelled into the phone, panic creeping up my throat.

"What? No!! Lexi, we are compromised! Get the hell out of dodge!" I threw a stick at a tree, running my free hand through my hair. Police sirens echoed in the distance, coming closer to the hotel whose window I had fled from.

"Is he with you?" I couldn't even ask what happened. It had been too risky of a job and we had all known it. But the dangerous game was the thrill of it all.

"Bas?" She questioned like I was stupid.

"Car was gone and so is he." I continued to walk slowly through the forest, letting the darkness shield me.

"That boy has followed you like a lost puppy dog since you were 9. He wouldn't...."

I scoffed, "he's been acting weird for the past few days. He barely played his part."

"Just---just wait, Lex, I'm sure Bastian will show up. He has to. He wouldn't strand you in the middle of Chattanooga." She sounded so sure of herself and I wanted to believe her. But the butterflies doing flip flops in the pit of my stomach, begged to differ.

"Have you called him?" Came a second voice from over the phone. "Just call him! He'd be an idiot to leave you!" He yelled into the phone and I could imagine him leaning in, as he drove.

I swallowed hard, trying to keep the heat in my eyes from falling down my cheeks. I knew it. I could feel it in my heavy heart.

I was boned.

"Are---" I licked my lips, swallowing the tingling lump in my throat. "Are you guys still here? Anywhere near?" I hoped. I begged in my mind with God to make them be near.

"Sorry, Lex, the moment it went south, we went south. Get out of the county, better yet--get out of Tennessee! I'm sure the FBI will be all over this! Ever since..." My stomach dropped to my feet and my head swam in anxiety. Rocketing my heart to sputter against my chest.