5

The tale of the red dress

"Lexie, I need you. Come get coffee."

He sounded odd on the phone, too chipper. Even for Bas, who was an upbeat man all the time. Constantly making me laugh and telling jokes, but this time. This time my hair stood on end at the sound of his morning greeting.

It wasn't out of the ordinary for us to grab coffee early in the morning. Usually, we walked in together, but that morning he had been MIA, which again, was odd. He never left without me, especially to get coffee. Unless I was sick and I had been fine all week. So--with hesitations in my steps, I made my way downtown to the Ma and Pa coffee shop. Overrun by rich vacationers enjoying the Montana mountains.

The moment I walked through the door of the small town coffee shop, I wanted to run.  My heartbeat like a drum against my chest at the sight of them.

Together.

Fuck.

They were together.

There was Bastian, the sneaky love of my life, next to the devil. The man who had been hunting us for two years like a freakin' bloodhound.  Wearing a cliche black and white suit and a dangerous grin on his face. He ate my soul the moment our eyes met.

He was Satan incarnate.

Branch, named after a fucking stick, was an FBI agent who had been on our tail for years--too many years if you asked me. We, by the grace of God, had always managed to dodge him. Always ten steps ahead of the bastard, but somehow, this time, he had won. And got my love in the process, something that didn't settle well with me.

Then there was Bastian fucking Greene handcuffed to his chair, smiling like the big, goofy, dummy he was.

But smiling? Seriously?

He gave a small wave to me, well as much as he could, since you know--he was handcuffed! His lips were in a huge grin and waved me over. Bas seemed as happy as can be, not a problem in the world, except there was a problem. A major problem. We were about to face the consequences of our years of crimes. 

I crossed my arms over my chest in protest, standing my ground. I wasn't going to indulge this obsessive psychopath and come any closer. No fucking way, no fucking how.

"I suggest you sit, Alexis." Came the deep, harsh voice of Branch. His victorious smile sending sharp chills down my spine. Seeming way too thrilled to finally have us both in his grasp.

I stood there, frozen, I didn't want to move. "Lexie" Bas pleaded, gesturing me to sit with his free hand. I mentally stabbed him in the face over and over again with a soldering iron. I had no choice, I couldn't run and leave him. So with reluctance and disdain, I sat in the uncomfortable metal chair. Knowing in the back of my screaming mind, this was my doom. My one-way ticket to an all womens cellblock , except I wouldn't be tango-ing.

"Alexis Campbell, how very nice to finally meet you face to face." He held out his hand and I scoffed at his meaty hand.

"Branch," I greeted coldly, keeping my arms across my chest in protest. I eyed Bas, his eyes screaming at me to cooperate with whatever was happening.

Branch opened a folder and thumbed through a few pages. "Ahh--my modern-day Bonnie and Clyde." He said scooting a paper towards me. "Finally in my grasp."

"Sookie Stackhouse, aka, Debra Morgan, aka, Alexis Campbell, wanted in Georgia on grand larceny, petty theft, identity theft, and grand theft auto." I raised a brow and shrugged like I didn't give a shit, but my insides were a boiling soup of anxiety, ready to spill from my lips.