Chapter 6

When I woke up Sparrow was still sound asleep. After the events of last night I decided to let her be while I got ready for the day. After I stepped out of the bathroom I magicked her up some clothes and left a note just incase she woke up while I was gone. As much as I wanted to stay with her, there were other issues that needed to be taken care of. We needed to find out everything we could on this so called sister I had and what exactly she wanted. We had a small council meeting discussing the events of the last week and trying to find out what this witch wanted. "All she said was she was going to make me suffer. She didn't say how or why." I said agitated that everyone was coming at me. I sighed knowing non of these people would ever be on my side. "Look Regina," Snow started, "We know that you didn't know you had a sister and that you don't know why all of this is happening. We just need to figure it out." I got up out of my seat angrily, "Dont you think I know that! I have more than one thing on my mind right now!" I yelled. Snow got up, "Listen, I think thats enough for right now. I'll let you all know when the next meeting is." I turned around with my hands on my hips watching everyone walk out except for Snow and David...and the thief. "How is the girl doing m'lady?" Robin said. Huh. He seems genuinely concerned for her, I thought. "Yes. How is she? Has she talked to you? Told you her name?" Snow asked. "Her name is Sparrow. That's really all I've gotten out of her. She's so closed off and afraid she won't open up to me." I said walking over to the window. "Just give it time. I'm sure she will open up to you eventually Regina. Have you told her that you're her mother?" David said. "No. Not yet. She's still shook up and traumatized, it's not the right time to tell her that kind of news." Snow walked over to me and sighed, "Don't worry Regina. She'll learn that she can trust you and us. Then im sure the right time will come. " "I hope so....Well im going to go check on her. Maybe I can get her out of that room." And with that I motioned for my leave.

I rolled over in my sleep to get more comfortable only to have the sun shining directly on my face. I moaned out and dug my face deeper into the blanket. It took me a second to remember the events of last night. I looked over my shoulder remembering I had fallen asleep in the bathroom but didn't remember how I got to the bed. Regina. I thought. Then I looked all around the room and she wasn't anywhere in sight. On the chair next to the bed I seen some clothes and a note. I got up to read it, "Sparrow, in case you wake up before I have returned, I laid you out some clothes. I had some business to attend but I will return shortly. You're free to explore the castle if you so wish, ill find you later. Regina." I put the note aside and felt good enough to get dressed. I looked over my shoulder and seen myself in the mirror. I walked closer admiring the clothes. The nicest I've ever been given. They were a little baggy but I was still appreciative. When I looked back up in the mirror I really took notice of how frail and beaten I looked. It was hard to look at. I turned and walked away over to the balcony and sat on the bench. It was nice to have some time alone. Time to just sit and think and just...be. I thought about the last fews days and how Regina had been so kind to me. Maybe this time will be different. I thought to myself. Despite everything that has happened to me, I had never felt this kind of connection...to anyone. I couldn't explain it or put my finger on it. But deep down something inside was telling me I could trust her. Maybe I found a place I could eventually call home...I dont know. It's a silly thought! I wasn't even sure how long she wanted me to stay...if she wanted me stay. I tried to shake those thoughts away and looked out over the balcony. It sure was a beautiful view. I looked out into the distance and could make out a stable! I loved horses! I took note of it and hopefully would get the chance to take a look around later. I sighed and walked back to the bench.

When I arrived at my chambers I noticed Sparrow wasn't in bed and that the clothes were gone. I walked further inside but didnt see her anywhere. I checked the bathroom and then peaked outside to the balcony. There she sat on the bench. I could tell she was lost in thought. I just watched her for a few minutes and took her all in. She looked so tiny and....broken. I closed my eyes trying to hold back the tears. I just wanted her to open up to me, to trust me. After I composed myself, I decided I'd make my presence known. "It's nice to see you out of bed dear." I said softly walking around the corner. I caught her jump a little but then settle. She gave a slight smile and watched me make my way over to her. "Sorry to pull you away from your thoughts." I said trying to break the ice. She looked down at her hands, fidgeting with her fingers. We sat there for a moment, I was trying to think of something to say when she surprised me. "Uh...thank you." She said very hoarsely. She looked up and continued, "For everything. Im not used to...to people being this nice." She said as she got up and walked over to the balcony. She grabbed her left side and I almost got up to help out of instinct but she leaned up against the balcony and I stayed put. I wasn't sure what to do or say, so I waited a moment. "Im not sure how long you want me to stay, but I just wanted you to know I'm thankful." Is this what she was out here thinking about? I got up and walked gently over to her. She was fidgeting with her thumbs again, avoiding all contact. "Hey. Look at me." I said softly, but when I didn't get a response I repeated myself, soft but more sternly. "Look at me," she slowly turned her head to me but was avoiding my eyes. I put my hands over hers to stop her fidgeting. "You don't have to go anywhere. You can stay here as long as you wish. I told you, you were safe with me and I meant it. I know you have gone through some stuff and I hope you will open up to me in time but you don't have to leave. You can trust me Sparrow." I tilted her chin up so she could see my eyes. Hers  were glassy and I could tell she was holding her tears back. She nodded and then turned back around taking her hands back. "Well, Id say you've been cooped up in this room for awhile. Would you like me to show you around? Maybe meet some of my friends? If you feel up to it?" She waited a second and then looked up and nodded. Shew! I thought. Well its a first step in the right direction.

We walked through the hallways slow and in silence. I thought about the words Regina had told me. No one had ever given me a choice to stay. And no one had ever even bothered to care what I thought or felt. This was all so new to me. I was pulled out of my thoughts when me made it to the library. "This is the library. You're welcome to come any time." We stepped inside and I couldn't believe how big it was. I ran my finger down the books as I walked down, in total awe of how big it was. Reading was a favorite pass time for me when I was able to. "I take it you like to read?" Regina asked. I looked back at her and gave a smile and nod. I stumbled upon a book about horses and picked it up. It was information on all types of horses and pictures as well. They were such beautiful and understanding creatures. Whatever home I was in, I always seemed to connect more with the horses than I did the family. Whenever I was sad or lonely or something bad would happen, I'd always make my way to them and each one seemed to always know how I was feeling or what I was going through and made me feel better. "Horses are beautiful creatures." Regina said as she walked up next me. "We have a stable. I'd love to take you there sometime, if you'd like." I looked up at her with a big smile. "I take that as a yes. That's the biggest I've seen you smile! Once you've gained more strength back I'll take you down there." I couldn't help but smile. It did make me happy and gave me something to look forward to. I put the book back and we continued our little tour. As we were walking, I began to hear people chatter. Regina opened up a door to a dining hall. There were people everywhere. Rows of cots and blankets hung up to make small rooms. On the other side there were tables and people serving food. It was like this place was set up as a safe haven. I looked up at Regina giving a puzzling look. "Its a long story and hard to explain. But we kinda got cursed again. We came from a place called Storybrooke. Why don't we sit down and I can explain more?" She said walking me over to a table. "Ill get some lunch and Ill finish." She fixed two plates and then came back. I grabbed my fork and started playing around with the food. Regina gave me a puzzling look as she took a bite. I looked back down and then took a small bite. "You know, you don't have to wait for me to take the first bite. You're in a safe place dear." I sheepishly nodded and went back to eating. She then went on to tell me the whole story leading up to this whole town being cursed here. She mentioned she had a son and told me a little about him. I could see the hurt in her face and voice when she mentioned his name. "Im sorry about your son." I said. She gave me a soft smile and I could see it was a touchy subject so I didn't speak any further on it. "Dear, you've hardly touched your food. You really do need to eat." I sat my fork down and pushed the plate. "Im full.Really." She pushed it back to me and it was the first time I really saw this stern and serious motherly look. "Please eat. Just a little more. You need to gain some strength back." I looked at her and back at the food. "Ok." I sighed. Right as I took a bite I seen three people come over to me and Regina. Regina noticed my uneasiness and looked behind her. She looked back at me and motioned that it was ok. She stood up,"Sparrow, this is Snow and David and uh...Robin." Snow walked around and sat next to me. "Sparrow, its so nice to meet you little bird." Flashbacks of that horrible woman calling me that came flooding back and I couldnt control how angry I was. I stood up from the table, "Don't call me that!" I could see the shocked faces of her and everyone else. I tried to compose myself, feeling a little bad and embarrassed I yelled at her. "Im....sorry. Its Sparrow. Just...Sparrow." I said then stormed off. I made my way down the hall and seen the door that led to the gardens. I didnt even bother waiting for anyone to come after me. I just found my way down the stairs and seen a bench next to some beautiful flowers and an apple tree. Ugh! I shouldn't have talked to her like that. Regina is going to be so mad!