Introductions

Chapter 3 - Introductions

[Y/N POV]

My hand still firmly grasped by Monika, she leads me out into a gigantic open room. I looked around to see many tables spaced out throughout the room. Each table was surrounded by about 10 plastic chairs, 5 at each side. At the far side of the room I see a long table of food lying out buffet style. I quickly realized this must be the cafeteria. I feel stupid as I think back to Monika asking me if I was hungry, only a minute ago, of course we would be going to a cafeteria. I now stand, staring at the long aisle of food. I look down to see many different types of food, none the same as the one before it. It ranged from pizza to phad thai, every item making my mouth water that much more. Monika eyeing me up to see what I would choose. I could see she already had a plate of pasta and meatballs sitting on a red tray in her right hand, with utensils in her left. I decide to keep it simple, grabbing two slices of cheese pizza. Monika smiles, as I look around to see where I should sit. I see an empty table over in the corner of the room as I walk over to it and sit down. To my surprise Monika also sat down in front of me, leaving her friends behind. I felt bad, but decided to leave it be as all I could think about was eating my food. Before I can even get a bite in, I'm distracted by Monika looking behind me. I instinctively follow her gaze to see what caught her attention. I turned around to see a red head with a black hat on, waving her over from the hallway. She looks at me and smiles before speaking.

IQ: "I'll be right back, so don't go anywhere while I'm gone."

She gives me a little wink as she leaves causing my cheeks to become a sauna. I just nod in compliance as I watch her walk off into the hallway. I look back down at my pizza when I hear a loud thud directly to the left of me.

???: "You the new terrorist recruit I've heard about?"

I look to my left to see a menacing looking man standing over me, the side of his clenched fist is sitting on the table, only inches away from my tray. I figure that's probably what caused the loud thud that distracted me from my eating. Not wanting to deal with this, I just stay silent and look back at my tray. I pick up a slice of pizza and begin to lift it up to my mouth when its slapped out of my hand, sending the poor pizza flying across the room. I hear a moist slapping sound as it hits the floor.

???: "I asked you. A fucking. Question."

I can hear venom dripping from every word that leaves his mouth. I look to my left again to see he is even closer to me now then he was before. Behind him, I see the eyes of every operator in the room, watching for my next move. I just look back down and pick up my second slice of pizza to try, once again, what I failed at previously. As it gets close to my open mouth, it's once again slapped out of hand, this time with a much greater force. It flies all the way across the room and hits the wall with another moist slap. This time I don't look up as I think about those perfectly good slices of pizza now gone to waist. I hear a voice come from farther down the room, to my left.

???: "Calm down Olivier. You scared the newbie enough, don't you think?"

I couldn't tell who it came from, but I was grateful to whoever it was for at least trying to stand up for me. I look to my left to see he is still just standing there, looking right at me. I stand up quickly, leaving only 2 inches between our faces. He was taller than me but I tried not to look nervous. Spoiler alert: I was. After about three seconds of staring I break eye contact, grabbing my tray and napkins. I walk past him making sure not to bump into him. I walk over to the slice of pizza lying on the ground face up. I bend down to pick it up as I can feel everyone's glare directly on me. The room was deathly quiet. I pick it up and put it back on my tray, when I feel a presence behind me. Predicting what was about to happen, I set the tray down as I felt a foot collide with my rib cage. I fall over onto my side preparing for another blow. Sure enough, I feel the laces of Olivier's shoe slam into my stomach. He kicked me like I was a soccer ball he needed to send half way down the field. I automatically crumple into a ball, my hands grabbing my stomach. I could feel myself wheezing for the air that just got forced out of my lungs. Before my attacker can get another hit in he is shoved away from me as I see Monika bending over me, checking if I'm okay.