❪ iv. ❫ DECISIONS, DECISIONS

( CHAPTER FOUR

( CHAPTER FOUR. )
DECISIONS, DECISIONS
oh, how quickly joy passes.

• • •

SEEING THE KIDS SAY GOODBYE to their parents & respective guardians made Scarlett feel nostalgic. Reminding her of the time when she and her friends were the ones about to venture out into a new world out of the Isle. Looking at the kids, she saw their potential. Saw how much more they could do out there instead of within the confines of the Isle.

And she knew how many kids deserved that chance too. Which was why she and Ben were determined to fight for them. For their future and for the people they could actually become.

As Ben came up behind the girl caught up in her thoughts, she turned around and faced him, arms going around his neck as she gave him an impish grin. "You cheated."

Raising an eyebrow at the soft accusation, Ben raised a hand to Scarlett's face and caressed the skin. Her skin marks and freckles that often made home at peculiar times was something she hated, but he was endeared with them. It often grounded him that the girl was, after all, human & capable of blemishes.

It made him realise that she was real. And not something his mind had conjured up, after all.

"You and your competitive ways, just couldn't resist one-upping my proposal, huh?" She elaborates, eyes glazing with something Ben couldn't identify as her fingers softly played with the shorts strands of the hair by his nape.

"I had to do something. I'm not my father's son if I didn't have one dramatic bone in my body." Scarlett laughed at this, the sound melodious as she watched Yzla smile giddily at the sight of them. Clearing her throat, the brunette woman distanced herself from the King, who merely smiled at the failed subtlety and smiled at the young villain kid.

Yzla, having inherited the chatterbox quality from her mother, opened her mouth and immediately began to gush. "King Ben, very nice to meet you. I'm Yzla Sala, self-given name, and I'm the daughter of Yzma. I just want to say thank you for falling in love with Scarlett and turning her into this big, pile of mush that we, the Isle Kids, really love. Before she met you, she was so grumpy and always bitter. But hey! She has you now, thank Belle!"

The couple who remained silent at the rambling had emotions displayed on their faces that fell upon opposite sides of the emotional spectrum. Ben, who had a smile present on his face, couldn't help as the edges of his lips turned up some more as he listened to the young girl.

Scarlett, however, didn't find any of it amusing. Not even close.

Letting out a cough, she locked eyes with Yzla and narrowed them at the teenager, who released a squeak of fear before scurrying off into the confines of the limo.

Ben, the cheeky shit that he was, directed his attention to the face of his new fiancée, whose eyes refused to meet his that barely contained their hushed mirth. He could see a gradual journey of the blood underneath her skin as the white expanse began to flush pink up to her ears.