❪ v. ❫ QUEEN OF MEAN

( CHAPTER FIVE

( CHAPTER FIVE. )
QUEEN OF MEAN
i want what i deserve. 

• • •

ATTENDING A MEETING wasn't precisely the morning Scarlett expected when she awoke the next day, head against the warmth of Ben's chest with his arms snuggly wrapped around her. It was a position she'd liked to wake up to every day. Most mornings spent wrapped up in rumpled sheets with their legs tangled and lips murmuring whispers of love against each other were a touch of heaven.

Unfortunately, this morning didn't even come close to that.

They were already running late.

"Come on, Scarlett. We have to go."

Rolling her eyes, Scarlett tucked the bottom hem of her black turtleneck in her long red skirt, the heels of her boots silent against the carpet of their shared wardrobe. Ben had long gotten dressed before her, having settled himself to sitting back on their unmade bed from last night. He had been reluctant to wake a peaceful Scarlett from her slumber. Still, the incessant ringing of their phones that notified them of the emergency meeting his parents called could not be ignored any longer.

"We haven't even eaten yet." She grumbled some more, fingers struggling to put on a necklace she felt went with her mood. "Coffee wasn't even an option before I got into the shower."

"I know. I'll ask someone to get us some once we're there." Ben tried to placate her, coming up behind her as his fiancée handed him the necklace, sorting her hair to the side while he aided her. "Don't frown too much. Let me see that smile."

She gave her fiancé the most sarcastic smile she could muster; his response was but a mere chuckle accompanied by a soft kiss on her lips. She knew that he knew that her mood was slowly improving, albeit it would've been quicker had she been given her daily supply of caffeine. But for now, her endless supply of Ben would have to do.

"Ready to go?" Holding out his hand for her as he stood by the threshold, looking as impeccable as ever. If only today had gone in another direction, Scarlett wouldn't have allowed them to leave the room all day. However, duty calls. And so, she sealed her morning plans with her hand grasped by her Beasty. 

"Lead the way." 

• • •

"I don't think I'm going to like where this conversation is going, Your Majesty." Grit out Scarlett as she stood with her arms crossed against her chest, eyes narrowed on the tall figure of the Former King, who had more than enough pride in order to be able to stand against her stare, albeit quite anxiously.