Chapter 6

"He won't stop watching me!" Draco whined to Blaise. Blaise rolled his eyes.

"So what? It's not like you don't enjoy it. You love having his attention. It's why you keep annoying him." Blaise didn't even look at Draco.

He turned to Pansy. "What do I do? I can't eat with him distracting me like this. I wish he would stop. Why is he staring at me? What on earth does he want? Why-"

Pansy looked up at Potter, sighed heavily, and shoved a forkful of spaghetti into Draco's mouth, effectively shutting him up. Blaise sighed in relief.

"Just stop thinking about it, Draco. He's obviously not planning on stopping any time soon, so just ignore him."

Draco gave her a look and chewed the spaghetti as fast as his mannered upbringing would allow. When he finally swallowed the last bits, he started whining again. "I can't just ignore him! I can feel him looking at me-"

"Fine!" Pansy snapped. She turned to glare at Potter. After a few seconds, he looked away. Pansy turned back to Draco. "See? Problem solved. Now shut up and eat."

Draco did as he was told, as anyone with sense does when faced with an annoyed Pansy.

————————————————————————

Parkinson was staring at him with a positively nasty look on her face. Harry quickly looked away. He wondered why she was so upset. It looked like she was feeding Malfoy earlier. Maybe she was Malfoy's girlfriend and she was trying to defend him or something. Harry didn't know why, but that thought made him want to strangle the girl.

After lunch, Harry and his friends made their way up to the Defense classroom. The new teacher was an old witch named Professor Magworst. And her name said it all. She was the worst. Though Umbridge would always hold the special title of "Worst DADA teacher ever", Magworst was a close second. Or third, because Harry had nearly forgotten Lockhart. Anyways, Magworst spent the entire first lesson going over spells and facts they had learned in 6th year with Snape. And she frequently mixed up her information. Harry was incredulous when she said that boggarts suck out your souls and dementors turn into your happiest thoughts. He was disappointed that they had yet another useless teacher, but he supposed there was really not much anyone could teach him about defeating dark wizards at this point. Still, he hoped that Dumbledore's Army wouldn't make a comeback. He wanted a nice, peaceful year and teaching the DA was anything but.

After their uneventful lesson, they rushed to Transfiguration. McGonagall tested the limits of their skills and memory when she asked them to transfigure a fish into a bird of their choice. By the end of the lesson, Harry had a sparrow with a dorsal fin, Ron had a flamingo with gills, and Hermione had a perfectly beautiful finch. Malfoy was sitting with a proud eagle owl on his shoulder, also without fault.

Harry was worn out. He collapsed into one of the sofas in the common room, Ron not far behind him. Hermione bustled in, arms full of books and parchment.

"Look, you two. I know Snape and McGonagall were the only two to assign us homework, but you mustn't slack off! Come, let's get to work on our Transfiguration essay."

Ron groaned and voiced Harry's thoughts for him. He made a mental note to thank him when he regained enough energy to speak.
"Mione, the essay isn't due until next week. Chill. It's the first day, we deserve to slack off."

"Fine," she said stiffly. "But don't come running to me when you haven't started the essay by Sunday." Ron just sank further down into the couch.

After a while, they mustered the energy to drag Hermione away from her essay and up to dinner. They ate slowly, and dragged their feet all the way back down to their dorms. Harry collapsed onto his bed and fell asleep without even changing.