Chapter 16

Harry jerked his hand back in surprise. He turned to face Draco. The blond was looking at him blankly, eyes wild and slightly unfocused.

"Draco?" Harry said uncertainty. The other boy didn't respond. Draco's breath was coming out in short pants and his arms constricted around Harry, pulling him impossibly close. "Draco? Draco, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that. Please, everything is alright. You're fine. He's gone. I killed him, remember?" Harry spoke more urgently. Draco seemed to be calming down.

"He's really gone?" Draco whispered shakily into Harry's ear. Harry pulled back so he could smile reassuringly at Draco. "Yes, Draco, he's gone. He's never coming back, I promise." Draco nodded slowly.

"But my mark...it burned. It only burns when he..." Draco trailed off. Harry felt regret flood through him. "I'm sorry, that was my fault. I touched it, but I didn't think it would burn like that." Draco looked at him in shock.

"You touched it? Why would you want to touch it? It's vile, horrid, and a reminder of everything that went wrong in my life." Draco said, bringing his arm up to his face so he could look at the mark with unadulterated disgust.

Harry shook his head. "You didn't want it, Draco. You didn't want that thing on your arm. That's why I don't have a problem with seeing it, or with touching it. Because you didn't want it to be there. It reminds me that you're not such a bad person." Harry smiled at him. Draco looked taken aback.

"The mark of a murderer reminds you that I'm not a bad person?" He asked skeptically. Harry shook his head. "No it's- it's difficult to explain. It just...it reminds me of everything you've done, but also everything you didn't do. You could have been so much worse, you know? But you fought against it, even when your life was at stake. You never embraced the darkness like so many others could and would have done. Despite everything else, you never embraced him." Harry tried to reason. Draco still didn't seem to buy it.

"Look," Harry said, grabbing Draco's left arm. He turned it so he could see the Mark. "Looking at it is no problem." He brought his fingers down to brush across it, trailing the dark lines. "Touching it is no problem." Then, he hesitated. He brought his lips down slowly. "What are you doing?" Draco breathed. Harry's lips slowly brushed the Mark. He let them rest there for a second, marveling at the complete lack of disgust he felt, then lifted his head back up to look at Draco. "See? No problem at all." Harry said confidently. Draco stared at him for a second.

"Thank you," he finally said quietly. Harry just smiled at him softly. After a moment, confusion flitted across the other boy's face. "Why do I have my arms around you? I clearly remember going to sleep back to back." He said uncertainty. Harry snickered. "Can't keep your hands off me even asleep, Malfoy? Though I must say, they certainly kept my nightmares away. Thanks for that." Harry ended seriously.

"But," Draco said slowly, "you're okay with this? What happened to...to space?" Harry smirked. "Yes, I'm alright with this. Didn't I tell you I thought things over?"

Draco shook his head. "I very clearly remember you asking for space. But who am I to complain? Though we should get up soon, it's nearly time for the feast." Draco said, a bit unwillingly. Harry nodded. "You're right, we should probably move before Nott or Goldstein comes in and sees us." Draco disentangled his arms from around Harry and they moved apart, getting off the bed. Harry headed for his trunk to find some clothes, while Draco went to the bathroom to freshen up.

————————————————————————

After checking the time, Draco determined that the last class was still in progress and they had a couple hours before the feast. He began his work, even though it was due the following week. It was better to stay on top of things than to rush the assignment at the last minute.