Chapter 20

Their Charms class went by exceedingly slowly. Flitwick was trying to teach them Charm theory, which was highly complex and challenging to master. Draco understood why it might help improve their casting - knowing why something worked always helped him do it better - but a small part of him also thought that waving their wands wildly around without having a clue as to what that did had never yet failed them.

Draco spent class staring blankly out the window, the grey sky dulling his mood and making him feel drained. Flitwick's squeaky voice washed over him, but the information did not make its way into his brain. No matter, he could easily ask for Pansy's notes or conduct his own research into the subject. Draco had always found lectures unendurable - why would teachers waste time droning on about a topic when experience was the best teacher? In any case, he spent the morning scanning the treetops of the Forbidden Forest with a leisurely gaze, sometimes spotting a flash of movement or a winged creature flying above the trees. At some point, he realized that the leaves - still a vibrant green, as they somehow were all year round - were the exact shade of Harry's eyes. And that just reminded him of the dazed, yet hungry look in the boy's eyes as he had leaned in to kiss him, caressing Draco's lips with his-

He shook himself. He refused to get aroused during class; it would only make things awkward and uncomfortable. Draco suffered through the rest of the lesson; suddenly, everything seemed unbearably dull, and he longed to talk to Harry and give him his mother's letter. He desperately wanted to see the Gryffindor, wondered if there was a chance last night's events had been a fluke, despised the possibility that the brunet had merely been toying with him. Draco knew that he was exceedingly, impossibly lucky that Harry had ever deigned to give him the time of day. It was a privilege he would not squander.

Suddenly, he was brought out of his daze by chattering as students around him began to pack away their things. Draco blinked, not quite able to believe that he had missed their dismissal after eagerly awaiting it for so long. He sprang into action, shoving his unused quill and blank parchment into his bag, hurrying over to where Harry was talking to his friends. Ron saw him coming and must have mentioned it to Harry because the other boy turned around before he had reached them.

"Harry," Draco greeted him. His eyes slid over the witch and wizard beside him. "Granger, Weasley," he added cordially. Then he turned back to Harry. "Could I borrow you for a moment? I need to talk to you about something." Harry glanced at his friends as if asking permission. Granger looked faintly amused and knowing, while Weasley rolled his eyes. The brunet turned back to him and nodded, waiting quietly with Draco as everyone else filed out of the room. When the place was empty, Draco opened his mouth to speak, but Harry beat him to it.

"What is it, Draco? Is something wrong? Is this...is this about last night?" Harry looked worried, biting his lip endearingly. Draco took a breath and opened his mouth again, but Harry interrupted him once more. "Please don't tell me you regret it. I knew this wouldn't end well." He said despairingly, tugging his fingers through his tousled hair and beginning to pace. Draco watched with his mouth slightly agape.

"Well, I didn't regret it. I thought we went over this last night? I have feelings for you, Harry. But if you already think we don't have a chance, I suppose there's no point in trying, is there?" he cried frustratedly. It would be just his luck, to have a taste of the boy he fancied, only to have him cruelly ripped away the next day. Draco spun around, intent on stalking out of the room and finding somewhere to break down. He quickly ran through a list in his mind. Dorm? No, the others could come in at any time. Library? Too public. Room of Requirement? Too many memories... Maybe he could find a deserted alcove somewhere.

But Draco knew, he just knew that he could never escape that easily. It wasn't in Harry's nature to just let him go. It was why the incident in their sixth year had occurred in the first place. And that was why, when he felt the hand grab his wrist, Draco only sighed with resignation.