The Search Party

You're always one decision away from a totally different life

It was a cold early November night. The rain was pouring in buckets, and only seemed to be getting worse. There was a chill to the air, and Taylor pulled her jacket closer around her body.
Instead of being inside, sitting by the fire with something warm to drink, Taylor found herself deep in the woods of her new town of Hawkins, searching for Will Byers. Her brother, Scott Clarke, was the boy's science teacher, and after her double shift at the hospital, he had somehow convinced her to join the search party with him.

"Ugh I'd sell my kidney for some coffee right about now" Taylor complained to her brother, not loudly but someone else had overheard her comment and chuckled. Turning her head, she couldn't distinguish who it was, so she turned to back to her brother.
"Yea, that sounds good right now" Scott commented.
"You don't even drink coffee. It's been two weeks and you can't even tell me where to get good coffee" she groaned just a little, and the same chuckle was heard once again.
This time, her head whipped around fast and found the source: a handsome police office. She raised an eyebrow at him. Usually Taylor wouldn't be so bold, but she was running on no sleep and no coffee. He gave her a smirk, tipping his hat to her, before Scott decided to introduce himself.
"I don't think we've met. Scott Clarke, teacher at Hawkins Middle. Early and Biology" Scott introduced.
"I'd always had a distaste for science" the man said.
"Well maybe you had a bad teacher" Scott said.
"Yea, Ms. Ratliff was a piece of work" he commented.
"Ms Ratliff? She's still kicking around believe it or not" Scott said.
"Oh I believe it. Mummies never die, so they tell me" the guy said. "Sarah, my daughter, galaxies, the universe, what not. She always understood that type of thing. I always figured there was enough going on down here, I never needed to look elsewhere" he said, and Taylor was a little disappointed. He was an attractive man.
"Your daughter, what grade is she in? Maybe I'll get her in my class" Scott said.
"No, she uh, she lives in the city with her mom. Thanks for coming out teach. We really appreciate it" he said, before going farther into the woods.
Taylor looked after him, curiously.
"She died a few years back" a lady commented next to where the siblings stood.
"Sorry?" Scott asked confused.
"His kid" the lady clarified, and a whole bucket of sadness sank in Taylor's stomach.

"Diner at the end of Chestnut" Taylor heard, and she turned to see the man who she now knew asChief Hopper. It was hours after their initial meeting. The search has stopped, seeing as the rain was getting too intense. Tilting her head, she looked at him confused. "Good coffee. I'm going there now if you want to join" Hopper added, surprising himself as the words just seemed to tumble out of his mouth. Maybe it was the lack of sleep that left him without a filter.
"Yea, I'll just need a lift. Taylor Clarke, by the way" Taylor replied, after looking around to see her brother nowhere in sight.
"Chief Jim Hopper" Hopper nodded, letting the blonde sit in his passenger seat.
After cranking the heat on in the car, the pair sat in a comfortable silence. Taylor gazed out the window, as Hopper tried to focus on driving, although finding himself more often glancing at the girl, than he'd like to admit.

The diner was fairly rundown, but Taylor knew from experience sometimes the best places for food were

The diner was fairly rundown, but Taylor knew from experience sometimes the best places for food were. Inside, it was fairly cozy. Just what Taylor expected for a diner in Hawkins.
"Hey Hopper. The usual?" The waitress asked, coming over to the table a few minutes after the pair sat down. Hopper nodded, while Taylor quickly glanced at the menu.
"I'll get some pancakes with a side of bacon, and a large cup of coffee" Taylor said, and Hopper smirked.
"Two usuals, coming up" the waitress said, scribbling on her notepad before heading towards the kitchen.

"So why Hawkins?" Hopper asked.
"To be closer to my brother. No clue why he moved here" Taylor stayed with a shrug.
"Where do you work?" He asked.
"I'm a nurse at the hospital. How long have you lived in Hawkins?" She asked, taking a sip as soon as the coffee arrived at the table.
"Grew up here, moved to the city for a few years before coming back a couple years ago" Hopper said, watching the girl curiously. "Where did you move from?"
"Most recently, Tennessee" Taylor said.
"Well Hawkins is sure different" Hopper stayed, causing Taylor to laugh loudly. Watching her, he cracked a smile and chuckled.

The food came out, and it looked absolutely delicious. After the first bite, Taylor let out a slight moan, causing Hopper's pants to tighten. Taking a deep breath, he tried to focus on anything but her.
"Ok I owe you one. These pancakes are great. The coffee is still not as good as I usually make it, but it'll do" Taylor said, smiling at him.
"Well you're just going to have to make it for me then" he said, being cheeky. She smirked.
"I guess so" she said, winking at him. He sported a wide grin, before finishing the rest of his pancakes.