happy halloween

Jim's POV

Jim's POV

"Oh Jesus" I said, startled by the sight of Eleven dressed up as a ghost behind me. I had just turned around from making breakfast that morning, to put on the table for Eleven and I, since Taylor had an early shift at the hospital this morning. I had heard her throw up, and held her hair back as she vomited this morning. I felt badly that she was working while sick - ironic considering she worked at a hospital- but she assured me she was fine.

"Ghost" Eleven said. I sighed, reminding myself to help her more with her vocabulary and grammar. Samson was barking at her, confused at the costume.
"Yeah I see that" I said, bringing the food over to the table. I had made some french toast, considering it was Halloween I opted for something different and better.
"Halloween" Eleven said, and I tried to understand what she was getting at.
"Sure is. But right now it's breakfast, okay? Come on, let's eat" I replied. If Taylor was here, she'd be fussing over El's costume but I wasn't Taylor.
"They wouldn't see me" El said, and I raised an eyebrow, confused.
"Who wouldn't see you?" I asked.
"The bad men" El said. I sighed.
"What are you talking about?" I asked.
"Trick or Treat" El said, and then I figured out what she wanted.
"You want to go trick or treating?" I asked, and El nodded. I could only shake my head.
"You know the rules" I said, trying to get her to sit down for breakfast.
"Yes but -"
"Yes, so you know the answer" I interrupted, not wanting to have another argument with her.
"No, but they wouldn't see me. Mommy said maybe" El said. Gosh Taylor.
"No. Hey I don't care" I said, sternly, placing my arms on her so she'd finally sit down.
"But they wouldn't see me" El said.
"I don't care, alright?" I said, looking into her eyes. I knew she was upset, but this was for her safety. "You go out there, ghost or not, it's a risk. We don't take risks, alright? They're stupid and...?"
"We're not stupid" El finished, clearly upset in her tone but understanding.
"Exactly" I said. "Now you take that off, sit down, and eat. Your food's getting cold"

Eleven ripped off her costume, throwing it on the floor, and just stared at her food. She had her arms crossed, and looked upset. I sighed. Why wasn't Taylor here to help this?

"All right, look... how about I get off early tonight, and I buy us a bunch of candy, and we can sit around and get fat, and we watch a scary movie together? How's that for a compromise?" I asked, with a hand on my head.
"Compromise?" El asked, confused. I sighed, again. We really need to improve her vocabulary.
"C-O-M-promise. Compromise. How about that's your word for the day? Yeah?' I said. "It's something that's kind in-between. It's like halfway happy"
"By 5-1-5?" El asked.
"5:15? Yea sure" I said.
"Promise?" She asked, seriously.
"Yes" I replied confidently. If this was going to keep her happy while inside and away from danger, than I would do anything for her. "I promise"
"Halfway happy" She said, shrugging her shoulders with a bit of a smile. I smiled, and fluffed her hair, before we went back to finishing breakfast.

Taylor's POV

It was a long morning, but Halloween was one of my favorite holidays so today didn't seem so bad. Maybe it was how everywhere was decorated, with spiderwebs and pumpkins.
There was even free apple cider, which I poured into a to-go mug and brought it to Jim during my lunch break, along with our usual deli sandwiches I make.