1. I NEED A HERO

That's right.

Your life is turning into a Bonnie Tyler song.

But, every fantasy story has a hero. Why? Because fantasy books normally require some known, or unknown, quest for your hero to embark on. Examples:

Harry Potter - uh... Harry Potter

Frodo Baggins - Lord of the Rings

Luke Skywalker (to some extent) - Star Wars

Sarah Williams - Labyrinth

Lucy Pevensie - The Chronicles of Narnia

Buffy Summers - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I tried to cater the examples to various subgenres of fantasy. Because the development of your hero will highly depend on what kind of fantasy book you're writing. For example, LOTR is High Fantasy so Frodo, a hobbit, is a High Fantasy hero. Same with good old Harry Potter - he's a goddamn wizard. Star Wars is a Science Fantasy, the heroes were a bit all over the place but I think Luke was the best example for this guide. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is an Urban Fantasy etc.

If you're unsure on what category of fantasy your story fits into, you should check out my first 'How To', which is 'How to Build Your Fantasy World'

********************

A/N: at the end of all the chapters, I am going to put a little exercise/question for you guys to do in the comments as a way for you to interact and really take something away from reading this guide. I will leave an answer regarding one of my own fantasy books for you to use as an example. Don't forget to vote and share this guide with whoever may need it!

********************

Exercise 1:

What is your hero/heroine's name?

My answer:

Reuben Keller (from my book Dragon Tales)