6. Likeability

We need to LIKE your hero.

I repeat.

We need to LIKE your hero.

First impressions really are everything. People don't want to stick a 20+ part story revolving around a character they hate. It doesn't matter if your story is one of the best fantasy stories out there if your hero is not very likeable; then your story won't be likeable either! So, how do you make someone care about your fictional character?

You engage their emotions by thinking about the following things;

Sympathy

We need a hero we can feel sorry for. Which means that you need to communicate your character's backstory in a way that does not make it sound like an attention-seeking cry for help. Honestly, I think the most effective way to do this is to only mention your hero's backstory when you need or (or perhaps as your hero learns about it, such as Harry Potter). Remember what I said about linking the present to the past? If your hero is put in a situation they are anxious or overly upset; why is this? Although, ideally, what you really want your readers to feel is;

Empathy

You want your readers to be so invested in your hero and their story that they physically put themselves in their shoes to completely understand how your hero feels. 

Likeable

Think about a positive trait your hero possesses. It doesn't necessarily have to be that they're friendly or sociable, it could be that they're independent or ambitious.

Got it?

Great.

Go ahead and show it right away. You want to show your hero's likeable trait right away. That way, your readers will instantly find something to connect with. This links in nicely to the next point of your character being;

Relatable

Even superheroes live a normal life. Iron Man, Spiderman, Superman hell, even our favourite Anti-hero Deadpool all live normal lives outside of their duties. What makes your hero a normal person? What makes your readers able to relate to them?

Is your heroine just your typical girl who wears graphic tees and worships Brendon Urie? (Or his equivalent in your fantasy world).

Is your hero just the average dork who is always found nose-deep in his favourite book with a cup of hot chocolate?

Even if your character has magical powers, they are bound to like or do something that doesn't revolve around magic. Such as music, reading, or even going for a stroll through the park to check out the scenery. Whatever you do, just make sure your hero can be pictured as a normal person.

Those are what I think are the three main points about making a character likeable, all which come nicely in hand with each other. If a character has likeable traits, you are likely to sympathise with them and thus relate to them.

Think about if you were trying to explain your best friend to someone who hasn't met them. What would you want them to know about your best friend? You would want them to know everything likeable about them. (Unless you're a huge troll of a best friend like I am. But just pretend for the sake of this exercise). Although you are also well aware of your best friend's flaws and weaknesses, you want this person to find out themselves as they get to know your best friend.

Consider using that example when writing your first chapter, or the chapter in which we meet your hero. You want your readers to be able to relate with your hero right away, then as the story progresses and the plot thickens, they will want to learn more and more about your hero.

Now here's a little bit about the opposite end of the likeable scale.

It is also important to note that your readers may not like everything your hero does. Which is fine, in fact, I would encourage it. Everyone makes mistakes. If your readers are emotionally invested in the hero; the fact that the character does something immoral will just add to your hero's motive. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

********************

A/N: at the end of all the chapters, I am going to put a little exercise/question for you guys to do in the comments as a way for you to interact and really take something away from reading this guide. I will leave an answer regarding one of my own fantasy books for you to use as an example. Don't forget to vote and share this guide with whoever may need it!

********************

Exercise 6:

What is relatable and/or likeable trait about your hero/heroine?

My answer:

He's a humorous character who appreciates the beauty of nature