9. Every Hero Needs a Sidekick

Your hero probably has a best friend, right? Whether their friend is a human, another one of their species or perhaps even a friendly creature/beast. Unbeknownst to them, they will probably become your heroes sidekick.

Or, perhaps your hero hasn't met their sidekick yet.

Even more so, your hero's sidekick could be someone they absolutely hate and their relationship grows as the story goes on.

Whatever, or whomever your sidekick may be, here are some core aspects to think about when creating a kickass sidekick for your hero or superhero.

Emotional Growth/Contrast

Just like your hero, your sidekick will go through plenty of challenges. Think of your sidekick as your second hero - everything we just discussed about what makes a good/bad hero you can also apply to what makes them a good/bad sidekick.

Sharing common traits and interests is one way to create bonds, but they can also be created by conflict. A great hero is a complicated character, and their friendship with their sidekick should reflect that. They will challenge each other emotionally and both undergo change as the story progresses.

If your hero is reluctant or scared about the quest, make the sidekick optimistic, make them truly believe in your hero in moments when your hero doesn't believe in themself. If your hero is ruled by emotions, make their sidekick someone logical, something like a good cop bad cop vibe.

Emotional contrast thickens the plot for you, without you having to try. Even the best of friends can disagree on some things

Motivations

We already talked about your hero's ultimate goal. Well, what is your sidekick's ultimate goal? There has to be some reason beyond the fact that they are friends with your hero. Or, if they have never met your hero before, or perhaps they are enemies, then there is definitely going to be some motivation behind them staying with your hero and not wandering off in an attempt to complete this quest on their own.

These motivations should be just as personal as your hero's motivations. They could be selfish (such as only teaming up with your hero to take all the credit) or selfless (perhaps they are doing this to help/save a family member). They may have similar motivations as your hero, but depending on your story, they may want something completely different.

Who knows; they may even turn out to have been the villain all along.

Heroic Moment

Don't forget to give your sidekick their moment to shine! Some of the best sidekick moments include self-sacrifice; your sidekick sacrificing themselves or part of themselves (maybe their magic, or some kind of charmed/cursed object) in order to save your hero or save them both.

I'm not saying your sidekick needs to be killed off,

-I'm not saying that you can't kill them off either, this is also a great example of self-sacrifice. If you are going to kill your sidekick off, make sure it's done in a heroic way. You want your readers to be absolutely distraught. You want to scar them for life. I mean, Fred Weasley - WHO EXPECTED THAT? NOONE AND JK JUST THREW IT AT US AND HIT US RIGHT IN THE FEELS. And, for the love of God, do not forget Dobby.-

But, if you aren't going to kill your sidekick off but you still want them to have that heroic moment. Just think of a moment that makes them realise that they have what it takes to also be a hero. It should be one of the most touching parts in your story, whether it is at the beginning, middle or the end. Just look at Neville - he went through so much emotional growth through the HP series that no one even realised he had it in him (probably not even him) until he went ahead and used the Sword of Gryffindor to slice up Nagini. The heroic moment we have all been waiting for.

In that moment, the spotlight was no longer on Harry. Just for a brief moment (which wasn't long enough if you ask me, where are my fellow Neville Longbottom supporters). Which is what you need to happen when creating your sidekick's heroic moment. Perhaps consider writing the chapter with the heroic moment in from their perspective. Speaking of which;

Writing Perspective

You may not even be writing your story from your hero's perspective. For example, my story; Dragon Tales is written in third-person limited mostly in the sidekick's perspective (although there are some chapters in the hero's perspective and, in the second book, there are a lot more chapters from my antagonist's perspective)

If you are writing from your sidekick's perspective (or POV for first-person writers) try not to make them seem like the hero. Although they can still be heroic, they wouldn't be doing these things if it weren't for your hero and you should show this in their interactions.

Perhaps your sidekick will eventually become the hero. But, who is their hero?

********************

A/N: at the end of all the chapters, I am going to put a little exercise/question for you guys to do in the comments as a way for you to interact and really take something away from reading this guide. I will leave an answer regarding one of my own fantasy books for you to use as an example. Don't forget to vote and share this guide with whoever may need it!

********************

Exercise 9:

What is your sidekick's motivations?

My answer:

To prove that she is not defined by the dynasty she came from (from my book: Dragon Tales)