A Change in Fate

Ch. 8

Percy and Zoe rode in silence for several hours in the bed of the truck before they crossed the California border. Tired of the silence, Zoe finally spoke up.

"I think we need to make a stop in San Francisco before we go to Mount Othrys." She said to Percy as he sat silently with his eyes closed.

"And where would that be?" Percy asked, not opening his eyes.

"The pier in San Francisco." She answered.

One of Percy's eyes opened as he looked at Zoe questioningly.

Zoe sighed, "Before we go storming into Mount Othrys, I think we need to figure out what it is that Lady Artemis was hunting. For all we know it could be waiting for us when we get there."

Percy's eyes slowly opened, "And how exactly will we find the answer on the San Francisco pier?"

"Nereus." Zoe replied simply.

Percy raised an eyebrow before he smirked, "Nice idea lieutenant but he isn't exactly easy to catch."

Zoe returned the smirk, "I think the son of Hades should be able to call a few helpful friends, don't you?"

Percy nodded, "I suppose I could get a few friends to lend a hand."

Zoe smiled and leaned back against the truck cab. Silence enveloped the two again until Percy spoke.

"Can I ask you something?" Percy asked a little warily.

Zoe nodded.

"When Apollo visited me on the train, he said you were one of the biggest man haters in the hunt yet you've treated me with respect the whole trip. Why?" He asked.

Zoe narrowed her eyes in Percy's direction, "Lady Artemis said we were to treat you with respect."

Percy nodded with a slightly disappointed expression before he leaned back against the cab of the truck.

Zoe stared at Percy for a minute, she thought of everything he had done for her as well as what he did for Phoebe even after Phoebe had treated him like trash since she met him, before she sighed loudly.

"It's also because you deserve to be treated better. You have done a lot for me Perseus and even though the words feel strange coming out of my mouth, I consider you the first male friend I have ever had." Zoe said quietly.

Percy raised an eyebrow in Zoe's direction as he saw her face turn a slight shade of pink before a small smile appeared on his face, "Good, I feel honored to have another one of the world's biggest man haters as a friend."

Zoe rolled her eyes but smiled a bit as they fell into comfortable silence for the rest of ride to San Francisco.

Thalia parked the car near the pier after Percy told her where to go as the four quest members filed out of the truck.

"Did we really just ride through three states with a fifteen year old driver?" Percy asked with a smirk before he jumped back from the shock Thalia sent his way.

"I turn sixteen tomorrow death breath so that makes me the most qualified driver here." Thalia replied after shocking her cousin.

Percy snorted, "I'm pretty sure that would fall to Zoe; over two thousand years makes her slightly more qualified to drive."

Thalia rolled her eyes, "Why are we here anyway?"

"We have a question to ask of an old man." Zoe replied as she pointed down the pier to a group of homeless people sprawled out on the beach.