Capture the Flag

Ch. 10

(4 Months Later)

Percy stayed on the defensive, allowing his opponent to continue attacking while he used his sword to fend off the strikes with relative ease. He tried to make it look like he was trying hard but he knew he wasn't all that good at acting.

"Damn it Percy, will you try?" Zoe yelled as she swung her blade at his legs.

Percy jumped over her blade and back-stepped before Zoe could strike again.

"I am trying Zoe. What would you have me do?" Percy asked in an annoyed tone.

Zoe growled as she lunged forward with a jab aimed at his abdomen. Percy side-stepped and made a half-hearted swipe towards her legs.

Zoe swatted the blade aside, "I don't need you to baby me Perseus. Just fight me." She hissed at him.

Percy narrowed his eyes as Zoe lunged forward again. This time Percy stepped into the strike, swatting away her blade as he closed in, using his free hand to shove her off-balance he kicked her legs out from underneath her. Before she could slam into the ground, he put a hand to the back of her head to cushion it from the fall.

"You said you wanted to learn how to wield a sword. I will teach you but you need to be willing to learn the way I know how to teach you." Percy said as he offered her his hand.

Zoe grudgingly took his hand, "I don't need to be babied." She grumbled.

Percy shook his head but smiled a bit, "I'm not babying you I promise. You don't notice but every time we spar I pick up the intensity a notch. This is exactly how I was when I learned and I complained exactly how you're complaining. Luckily for you, I'm a lot nicer than Achilles; question him and he spends an hour smacking you around the arena with the flat of his blade."

Zoe nodded slowly, "I'm sorry, I just don't like feeling weak. I shouldn't have snapped at you."

"You're anything but weak Zoe and you know it. I'd be in for the fight of my life if you were using hunting knives. You just need to be patient, it's a new weapon for you and you're just barely learning to use it." Percy said.

Zoe smirked, "You are right; I would wipe the floor with you if I had my hunting knives."

Percy raised an eyebrow, "I thought I remembered our last spar ending slightly differently."

Zoe scowled, "Everyone gets lucky once in a while."

Percy chuckled, "Whatever helps you sleep at night Zoe."

Before Zoe could retort, the sound of a hunting horn in the distance caused Zoe to freeze. Percy looked at his friend's face and smiled, "Go. We can finish this later."

Zoe smiled at him before sprinting out of the arena towards the borders of camp.

Percy shook his head smiling before a shadow engulfed him, taking him out of the arena.

Zoe ran straight to the borders of camp where she saw a group of teenage girls in silver parkas and combat boots being lead into camp by a familiar silver eyed twelve-year-old girl.

When Artemis saw Zoe approaching, a huge grin stretched across the goddess' face before she quickly engulfed her former lieutenant in a tight embrace.

"I've missed you my old friend." Artemis said as she let Zoe go.

"It's been a long time my lady." Zoe said with a smile, "What brings you to camp?"

Artemis' expression darkened, "There are troubling things occurring with the Titans and their army. But they will be discussed later. First I would like to hear how things have been for you since you were forced to come here." She said before turning to Thalia, "Please bring the girls into my cabin to settle in, we will be here for a few days."