Cupcakes & Kitties

It took some time, but Grindelwald finally managed to escape from Umbridge and her cavalcade of cats. Though he would miss having her stroke his pale locks and call him Miss Prissypants, there was only one person who could stroke him in all the right places. And that man was due to be home by eight 'o clock, which meant that he only had fifteen minutes to whip up a batch of cupcakes for his partner's birthday before Dumbledore came home.

Of course, he could use the time turner that was currently in his possession to give him some more time. But no, that would be too easy. And besides, Grindelwald was one of the most powerful dark wizards in all of history. Surely he could handle a simple cupcake recipe.

Or so he thought.

By the time Dumbledore returned home Grindelwald had succeeded in covering the kitchen walls and ceiling in copious amounts of pink frosting. The oven was partially melted thanks to his incorrect use of runes to heat the appliance. And in the center of it all was Grindelwald, sitting on the kitchen floor with rainbow colored sprinkles in his hair.

Dumbledore couldn't help but chuckle as he walked into the kitchen, his eyes twinkling as he surveyed the damage. "Let me guess," he began, smiling serenely at his crestfallen lover. "You tried to make me a birthday cake and blew up half the kitchen."

"Cupcakes actually," mumbled Grindelwald, unable to look at him as he spoke. "I thought I'd try something smaller since my previous attempt was a failure."

"Oh, I don't know about that. Last time you managed to transfigure yourself into a cat for three hours. Quite an accomplishment, if you ask me."

The dark wizard lifted his chin, a frown creasing the corners of his lips as he glared at Dumbledore. "I wasn't trying to transfigure myself into a cat, Albus. I was trying to make you a birthday cake shaped like a cat. Ever since then I've been stuck with fluffy cat hair and mismatched eyes." He shifted slightly, letting his gaze drift towards the floor. "This is ridiculous," he grumbled. "How am I supposed to lead our people for the greater good if I can't even bake a batch of cupcakes?"

Dumbledore came forward and knelt down in front of him. "While you might not be able to bake a decent birthday cake, you yourself are quite a delicious treat." He then raised his hand and brushed his thumb against Grindelwald's cheek, removing a glob of frosting from his face. "Far better than pastries any day," he added, bringing his fingers to his mouth and licking the frosting off.

Grindelwald's eyes lit up as he realized what he was saying, and suddenly he was glad that he hadn't used up all the frosting on his failed attempt at baking.