Circus Life

Grindelwald departed in a hazy bubble of smoke and catnip fumes, leaving Credence to practice his spellcasting while he stuffed his face with gooey treats. It wasn't long until the dark wizard lay sprawled across the kitchen table, his eyes half-closed with frosting clinging to his hair and face.

Slowly, he lifted his head, staring at the wall as though it were the most fascinating thing in the world. He then tried preening himself kitty-cat style, licking the back of his hand and using it to smooth his hair into place. This resulted in sticky strands of pastry frosting stretching from his forehead to his fingertips, creating a spiderweb of sugar and sprinkles.

When all was said and done, Grindelwald staggered out the front door and hitched a ride with a meatloaf monkey driving a moonbeam motor home. He didn't realize that this vehicle belonged to a certain ringmaster who was in need of a replacement act. To him it was a glittery sea of stars and candy canes, not a rickety old cart driven by a plump wizard with a thick accent.

Grindelwald giggled and pawed at the trailing banners as they rode off down the street. Their fluttering movements and bright colors thrilled him to no end, much like the ribbons on his favorite cat toy. They were nearing their destination when the dark wizard was struck in the back of the end head with a jet of purple light, rendering him unconscious.

He slumped against the mound of crates in the back of the cart, one arm dangling over the side. The ringmaster then levitated his unconscious body into a cage lined with straw, tossed in a couple of cat toys, and decided to call it a day.

.oOo.

The sun had risen well above the horizon when Grindelwald came to, groaning and blinking his mismatched eyes.

"Albus?" He lifted a hand and brought it to his temple, massaging the area over his right eye. "What the devil did we do last night?" He then realized that his fingers were stuck to his forehead, along with a generous portion of straw and sawdust.

His eyes traveled downwards, taking in the sight of his wrinkled clothing. He spied a plush mouse in the corner, next to a metal dish containing some stagnant water.

It was with great difficulty that he managed to peel his fingers off his forehead, his pale skin coated with globs of dried frosting leftover from last night's attack of the munchies. He then crawled catlike across the floor, stopping in front of his water dish and gazing at his reflection.

He plucked a piece of straw out of the crusty frosting that had dried on his face, staring at it in disbelief. Surely, this wasn't what he thought it was. He couldn't possibly be in -

"The circus?"

He caught sight of a colorful banner, the corner of which was reflected in his water dish. Slowly he turned, looking over his shoulder at a strip of fabric that boldly declared, "Circus Arcanus: Oddities and freaks!"

"No," he breathed, his eyes now drawn towards a poster on the wall which bore his likeness. The words "Majestic Feline" were emblazoned across the top, followed by a statement which said that he was "half-man and half-soft kitty".

Grindelwald was on his feet in an instant, gripping the bars and howling with rage.

If only he hadn't left his wand at home. If only there weren't Anti-Disapparation charms placed on every cage in the circus. Maybe then he could return to Nurmengard. But for now he was stuck, waiting for the crowd to roll in and gawk at his unusual appearance.