Seven || Hidden

{Guilty - The Shires}

...I've never been accused, being too foot-loose, but there's something about tonight, moving in the first degree, the music caught me red-handed in the neon light...

----

     The wind rips in, past my ears, as Scarlett drives, her radio blaring familiar country twangs from the car speakers while we cruise across town. She taps her fingers to the beat on the steering wheel, both relaxed and focused on the road ahead. 

     My stomach rumbles, hungry and tired from the heavy work all morning. I wonder when we are going to stop and get some food. The car rolls on, my eyes watching the town pass by until the buildings disappear out of sight, replaced by the fields and the trees near the hills at the edge of Laurel Valley, its lush green expanse which looks down over the town. 

     Scarlett hums excitedly as we turn off the road, her tires taking a hit as the truck jerks, getting used to the change of terrain. 

  "Where exactly is it we're going?" I ask her. 

  "You'll see," she tells me, forcing me to sit patiently. 

     The radio changes songs, a soft guitar tune playing. It's an old Willie Nelson song. I can tell right off the bat because I've heard my uncle sing it my entire life. My lips curl up at the edges thinking of his southern drawl as he'd croon after one too many whiskies with my aunt. My mouth straightens again when I think of how he doesn't sing it anymore, no matter how many whiskies. 

     Beau and Uncle Deacon pop into my head, as the song continues playing. How their hushed tones made me stop, and want to listen before Scarlett and I left the ranch. What was Beau trying to do? I try not to think too hard as my stomach rumbles again, and I wish I had eaten something. 

     Scarlett smiles suddenly, sitting forward as she points to a clearing at the top of the hill, through the trees, looking out at all of Laurel Valley. I see the glistening of sunlight on cars as Scarlett slows us to a stop, the smell of burgers on a grill wafting into her truck from my still-open window. I take a glance around at our final destination. 

     Music booms from a heavy-set black boom box on the back of a slick, red pick-up truck and there are dozens of people all gathered under the sun, setting up camp at the top of the hills. Everyone has a burger and a beer, their faces smiling and laughing. 

  "Uncle Deacon said no parties," I sigh, a knot forming in my stomach at his words reverberating in my mind. 

  "It's hardly a party, just a get-together," she replies, trying to comfort me. 

  "I don't think he'd like this, and I can't afford to piss him off."

  "Okay, well how about we get some food, say hi to everyone, and then I get you home before ten?" She smiles. 

  "I'm sorry," I sigh, "I just can't afford to let him down."

  "It's okay, I get it," she smiles, putting her hand over my arm and giving it a gentle squeeze. "It's nothing crazy, just a few of us come up here sometimes to get away from it all."

  "So no one really knows about it?"

  "You could say that," she nods.