Thirteen || Ripple

{Don't Die Young, Don't Get Old ~ Little Big Town}

...When the stars in the sky shine their heavenly light on the river, I'll stand by your side even if the water is cold, and we'll shine like gold...

----

It is a blur of rushing heartbeats and breathless motions that lead me onwards towards him. It feels like the undertow keeps threatening to take me as my feet falter and clamber through the almost endless brush of people. I can't focus on anything but the boy I have to reach before he makes a choice he can't take back.

Mayor Rucker is still in the middle of his introduction, and there is a heavy, booming rumble through the speakers of his words while I trudge on through the faces all watching and listening to his every word, the sounds around me fading out to a dull hum. I don't have time to waste.

"This prestigious tradition in our beloved town," Mayor Rucker continues. "Is a testament to the spirit of the community and the bonds that bring us together."

I can't help but think otherwise with the way he seems to circle my Uncle's ranch like a vulture.

I round the edge of the crowd, breaking free of the main mold to find a little bit of clarity to see where I'm going. I head straight towards the line of riders, all of them with a twinkle in their eyes, waiting for their moment, except for Beau.

It doesn't feel real as my feet move below me, my body working on auto-pilot. I don't have any plan on how to stop this, except to plead and make him see sense. Somehow, knowing Beau in the little way I have grown to, I doubt it will be enough. Still, I keep moving.

My body weaves past the riders, most of them undisturbed by me in their gaze up at the stage. All of them have a naive hope about them as I catch quick glimpses of them on the move. I notice Harley waiting at the stairs leading to the stage. Instinctively, I duck behind one of the men as Harley's eyes scan the line. I have to get to Beau quietly, I think. I'm still ducking when the man behind me turns, and I see Cawley, smiling down at me excitedly. I put my finger to my lips to gesture him to keep quiet, his usual bellowing voice sure to attract attention.

"What's wrong?" He whispers.

"I need to get to Beau," I tell him, pointing up the line a few paces to where he stands, stoic and silent, all celebration hitting flat against him.

Cawley straightens up, looking around for the sight of him. I don't need to explain any more, as he leans back down to me, all of the answers already formed in his mind.

"I gotcha," he winks, smiling.

Cawley tugs at Earl's shirt, pulling him close to whisper something into his ear. The two of them are quick to move, with Cawley telling me to wait by the nurse's tent up past the stage. I don't question their plan, and immediately begin sneaking my way up to the white tent.

"It is my honour to begin proceedings for this year's National Derby," the Mayor bellows from the stage. "Starting with the reigning champion, my son, Harley Rucker."

We don't have much time.

In the shadow of the tent, I am finally given a moment for a full sighing breath, and a moment to collect myself. I need to be smart about this. I can't rave and rant at Beau; he'll never listen to that. He has to listen to reason. My heart is beating so fast I feel like it might burst out of my chest, but I know I have to stay calm. I can't let Beau do this.