Secrets. Lots of 'em.

YO IT'S BONKY42

LIT.

(Applebee's POV)

I was... instantly uncomfortable. How would I explain myself? I wasn't supposed to have even driven near a breakfast diner. I just had to put a smirk on my face and not ruin this kid's thoughts about me, right?

"Well, I guess you could say I'm a rebel." I answered, putting on a fake laugh. Would he be able to see through my lies? I hoped not.

"Oh. hm. I'm not really that type of person, but you do you, I guess?" Denny's replied nervously. Was he okay? He sounded worried. What if he left me? I didn't want that.

"Well, you came out here to meet me. You didn't leave when you found out where we were, or who I was. You're here, with me, even though you come from the breakfast part of our society. I'd say that's pretty rebellious." I smiled at him softly, and he nodded slowly.

"Maybe you're right. Maybe I am. But I don't... I don't want to be." Denny's said thoughtfully. Sadly, even.

I stared at him intently, tilting my head. I was trying really hard to figure him out. He was complex, to say the least. But why? What happened to make him this way? Who was the sculptor  to be held accountable for Denny's personality?

"Why?" I asked him, moving closer to him. 

"Because I don't break rules, I follow them. And I'm, well, I'm scared."