Chapter 7 (The Hidden Letter)

Author's Note: I SO WANTED TO ADD MORE TO THIS CHAPTER but it was getting to long! So you'll have to wait for Optimus's reaction. Don't worry though, I'm currently writing the next chapter RIGHT NOW!!! This chapter has hands down been the most fun to write so far! This chapter starts to give Terry a bit more character development. It's also a bit creepier and tenser than previous chapters, but I'm still keeping it as PG as I can. This is honestly my lightest story in terms of tone.

Without further ado, please enjoy!

"I guess that makes sense. I mean, about as much sense as last night," Maru said, sitting on the one chair she had in her room, Kahe sitting on Maru's desk.

"I know it's a lot to take in, but it's the truth. By the way, how're you feeling?" Kahe said.

"Still a little sore, but other than that, I'm fine. Only thanks to that-Optimus. Remind me to thank him later," Maru said, folding her arms.

"So, you're gonna help them, right? I mean, I'm pretty sure you will, but you know, this is kind of something we should get solid confirmation on. Helping alien robots and all, it's kind of serious business."

"Of course, I will. What am I gonna do, tell the giant robot that saved my life 'sorry, I don't really feel like going on an epic adventure, find some other squid to do it?' That's not really something you can just say no to," Maru said, half sarcastically.

Kahe laughed. "'Epic Adventure?' Well, I guess that's one way to put it!"

"Well, think about it! We're just two normal kids, living in the suburbs when suddenly we make an amazing discovery and our lives are turned upside down! If an epic adventure doesn't follow all of this, I will be severely disappointed in the universe," Maru said matter-of-factly, putting her hands on her hips.

"What makes you want to go on an 'epic adventure' anyway? Aren't they like, super dangerous and stuff? That's not really your style, Maru-no offense," Kahe asked.

"None taken. Look, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity! Nothing like this ever happens to squids like me! Kahe, this is what my day is like: Get up, go to school, come home, fix cars in a cramped and dirty autobody shop, call Terry and beg her to come home early, then go to sleep and repeat the cycle. My life isn't just mundane, it's boring! Sure, it's gonna be dangerous, but that's what makes it grand and epic! Just think, years from now, people are gonna remember me, not as the boring mechanic who fixed cars really well, but the colossal squid that worked with aliens!" Maru explained enthusiastically.

Maru was out of her seat, eyes wide with excitement. She was bouncing on her feet. Kahe had to shake Maru to calm her down. "Maru. Maru! Maru! Calm down, you're gonna break somethin'," she said.

"Sorry Kahe. Got carried away there-Hey, did you see Terry come in last night? She should be back by now," Maru asked.

"No. Did you try calling her? Maybe something came up?"

Maru sighed. "Yeah, I tried her cell a couple of times. Nothing."

"Do you have the number for one of her coworkers? Maybe they can answer for her?"

"She might have it in her old contact list. When I was younger, before she got me a cell phone, she had a list of phone numbers written for me to call on the garage phone in case of an emergency or something. I don't think she ever threw it away," Maru said.

"Well, let's talk to Ratchet and Optimus first, then we'll look for Terry's phone book," Maru said as she got down from her spot on Maru's desk.

The two cephalopods walked through Maru's door to see both Optimus and Ratchet in their alt-modes, silently parked next to Maru's shack. The sound of papers flying immediately told them why.