The Mole

Aiden's POV
My argument with mom had left me feeling more exhausted and stressed out than ever. I sat in the library browsing through a book on ancient warfare but my mind couldn't absorb anything.

Just then my cellphone rang. It was Sarah. I suddenly felt frightened. Had she run into trouble again ?

" Hi Aiden. It's me. " She sounded breathless. But before she could say anything else Louis our butler burst in.

" Madam has had a car accident. She's in the hospital. " I felt my blood run cold. Mom was the only family that I had left. Nothing should happen to her.

I just rushed out without even saying bye to Sarah. In the car I thought of our argument. Maybe I really was being selfish. I couldn't bear anything to happen to her. How could I not understand that for her it was the same. We only had each other. It must have been so hard for her to see me continously put my life in danger.

Sarah's POV
Aiden hung up on me without saying anything. I felt scared. Had something happened to him ? I dialled his number a couple of times but he didn't pick up. Maybe the people who wanted to hurt me got to him too ?

No I mustn't think like that I told myself. But nevertheless the thought came into my head. What am I supposed to do if anything happens to him? I felt very insecure and lost.

As ridiculous as it sounded but in the past couple months I had learned to depend on him. The times when we discussed possible culprits behind the deaths of our siblings gave me a sense of satisfaction. It made me feel like I was actually doing something to average my brother. After the shooting incident he was one of the reasons I could sleep peacefully at night. Because I knew he would keep me safe. And during the previous incident he was there for me too.

I knew it wasn't because he cared about me. He felt I was being targeted because I knew something important. And he wanted to know what it was. But nevertheless I had become used to relying on him.

Three hours later he called me back.

" Hi Sarah. I am sorry I hung up on you like that. My mom ran into an accident. I am at the hospital right now. "

" Oh God. I am so sorry. Is she OK ?"

" Yeah it's nothing serious. Hopefully they will let us take her home soon. Is everything alright with you ?"

" Yeah it's OK here. Hope your mom gets well soon. " It was only when I hung up that I remembered what I had to tell him. Was it right for me to mention it at this time when he was already going through so much ?

Back at Sabrina's wedding he seemed really desperate to know the identity of the man who met his mother that night. I remembered Anna's weird behavior It almost seemed as if he was blackmailing Anna. Why wasn't Anna telling Aiden about it ?

Aiden's POV
Mom was clearly too drunk to drive yesterday. That was probably the cause of the accident. She basically just hurt her arm and neck a bit so we were taking her back home today.

She was quiet throughout the drive home. I couldn't explain her weird behavior. Driving while drunk ? What was she thinking ?! Where had my wise, calm and composed mom gone to ? Was it really because of me ? She had refused to receive any professional help after Arianna's death, saying she could cope with the trauma on her own. Were the effects of it showing up now ?

But all of this had started after her meeting with that strange man that night. I realized that I should have investigated it more thoroughly. Mom never liked me prying into her private affairs but now I realized I needed to keep an eye on her for her own sake.