Fairytales Don't End Well

" I needed to say this now before I lose my nerve. God this is so stupid." Aiden nervously brushed his hand through his hair. I was stunned to see him this nervous . It was so unlike his cool and poised self. " Sarah at first I was trying to make amends for what I did by being there for you but the truth is after a while that wasn't the only reason why." He looked into my eyes. " Talking to you about Arianna, about everything made me realize how lonely i was- - until I finally got to know you. Being with you made me feel alive for the first time in a long time. When people called me your boyfriend even though it was a lie I felt happy , honored even. "

I could feel blood pound behind my ears and somehow I was afraid to breathe in case this moment would end . " It feels so wrong asking this of the girl who I brought so much pain to. Indeed if you never want to see me again it's fine. But in the time i have known you - you have become so precious to me that the thought of not seeing you again is so painful it's unbearable. Let me be so shameless as to ask you to go out with me . Before you decide to leave me forever at least give me the chance to show you what I can be other than the guy who's always making you miserable."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This was simply to good to be true. " I - y- yes ", was the only thing that managed to come out of my mouth. First we both just stood there awkwardly then as I saw the happiness and wonder on Aiden's face I actually started giggling. We both then broke into laughter. Aiden pulled my hands in both of his and the next thing I knew he had pulled me into a hug. He was so tall that even with heels I could only reach the level of his shoulder.

" It's like a grizzly bear trying to hug a cat." Aiden laughed . " A be handsome grizzly bear." I chuckled. I hid my face in his chest feeling safe and loved in the circle of his arms. We stood there for God knows how long the cold having no effect on us.

" I can't remember the last time I had seen a fireworks display on New year's Eve " , I said in awe as the sky lit up as soon as the clock struck twelve. " Why not?" Aiden asked.

" Dad's health had deteriorated and he used to feel worried about us alone so late in the night. Especially when the law and order situation worsened in the city."

" Would your mom be worried about you now?" Aiden asked.

" She shouldn't be since I am with one of the most dangerous people in town ," I nudged him.

When I returned home at two o'clock in the night mom was waiting for me with one of her deadly, disapproving glares. But as soon as she saw my face her expression softened and she broke into a sly smile as if she knew what had happened.

In the bathroom mirror I could see my face was absolutely flushed and my eyes gleamed like never before. The girl in the mirror seemed so different from the person who was always brooding, lifeless , who had misery written all over her face. This girl looked vibrant and energetic even beautiful. I guess it was just happiness and the feeling of hope love gives you.

It was a cold January morning the first day of class in the new year. Most of the class consisted of yawning students the chill in the air making everyone wish they were curled up in their warm blankets. But I was bursting with energy. Today I smiled at everything and everyone , even said hi to people I never dared talk to. I cracked jokes and said witty things I never thought I would say.

I saw Blair eyeing me curiously I bet everyone was wondering the same thing , had Sarah become possessed?

" Love is in the air isn't it Sarah ?" Stacy winked at me knowingly. I blushed but was too happy too feel too mortified. After class I was at the book shop near the college going through some magazines. I didn't know whether to feel annoyed or amused that literally every tabloid was filled with stuff about us.