Chapter 5

Hans's grandmother is a dressmaker and owns her own shop. Hans works in the apartment above.

I mount my horse, after saying farewell to my squad, and move away from Levi, leading the way. We ride in utter silence, only the noise of nobles and carriages around us. We reach the shop, which isn't far away, and I leave my horse in their stables. I stop for a minute and button the top two buttons of my shirt. I also fix my hair a little bit and then start walking again. Levi stares at me blankly and I ignore him.

I push open the door of the shop and put on a bright smile as soon as the old woman comes into my peripheral vision. "Good morning Maria! It's great to see you again."

"Eve!" She rushes over to me and grabs my hand, "It is great to see you again!" My smile falters a little at the sudden handshake.

I quickly pull my hand away with a smile and massage it, "I am just here to see Hans." I say.

She nods excitedly and points at the door before glancing at Levi, "Who is this?" She asks, all happiness drained from her.

I glance at Levi and when I notice he isn't going to say anything I sigh, "Captain Levi of the Survey Corps. He is assisting me in an upcoming mission."

"Oh!!" She says, suddenly happy again, "Hello." She smiles and Levi nods, "I thought he was something else..."

Que my time to leave.

"Well, we will be going up now." I smile and head over to the door. I open it enough for Levi and me and then place my hands behind my back. I climb up the stairs and before I open the door to Hans' office, I clear my throat and cough.

"If you are sick, don't show up to public places." Levi states.

"I am not sick." I retort and open the door. I walk in and see Hans resting on his office chair, "Excuse me." I say.

Hans immediately shoots up, his eyes wide, but then he suddenly relaxes when he sees who it is, "For the sake of the Walls." He mumbles.

"Invest in a lock." I politely recommend it.

"My grandmother would kill me." He smiles and moves around his chair and sits on his desk facing us, "Hans Krause." He says to Levi, "Official dressmaker of the Military Police."

I instantly chuckle at his title, "This is why you are single."

Hans glances over at me before muttering, "That is not why I am single." I instantly stop laughing and look over at him.

"Levi." Levi introduces himself.

"I know." Hans smiles, his brown, middle-parted, curly fringe, shaping his forehead nicely, "So is this about the mission?"

"Of course." I reply professionally, "I believe you require Levi's measurements."

"Mhm." Hans hums and turns around to get a measuring tape, "Your dress is in the back, get one of the checklists for Captain while you are at it."

I turn around and head to where he is talking about, briefly making eye contact with Levi for a second.

The guy is really antisocial.

I open the door and look for my name on the hangers. I find it soon enough and grab it, quickly getting the paper as well. I am about to leave when I hear my name in the conversation between the two men. I lean my back against the door to hear better.

"How do you feel about accompanying Eve?" Hans asks, like the nosy man he is.

"She seems like a pain." Levi answers and Hans chuckles.

"She just doesn't like people too close to her." Hans replies with a vague answer. Levi raises an eyebrow at him.

"How do you know her so well?" He asks.

Don't answer Hans, don't do it.

"We were engaged once." He smiles a sad smile.

For the sake of the Walls.

"I don't blame you." Levi answers blankly.

"Oh no, she actually broke it off." Hans shrugs.

"Why?" Levi asks warily.

Hans instantly laughs, "I didn't do whatever terrible thing you are thinking of. Something happened and now, as I mentioned before, she doesn't like people too close to her."

"I noticed." Levi answers.

"That's good." Hans replies, "Be careful, she might hit you if you get too close."

"What?" Levi asks and I get up and open the door, pausing the conversation. I hand them a fake smile and bring the dress over and the page. Hans wraps the measuring tape around Levi's chest and I place the page on Hans' desk.

"You are not going to try it on?" Hans writes down a measurement after asking me.

"Sure." I answer and go back to the storage room, scowling at the fact they will most likely continue their conversation when I am not there.

***

I come out a while later in an A-line jet black dress that reaches my ankles, although there is a slit from my mid-thigh down. The thin straps holding the dress up from the V-line neckline sit loosely on my shoulders. All attributes making it easy for myself to move around in.

"Hans." I start, glaring at him, "Why in the Walls is there a slit down this dress?"

Hans nervously chuckles and grabs something from under his desk. It is a small bag and he brings out the contents. He first hands me a holster, "That goes around your thigh and you wouldn't be able to grab a blade if there wasn't a slit."

I nod, finally understanding his logic, "Also shorts because I know you will be kicking several people. I have a ring for you-"

"Excuse me?!" I sputter out, "Why in the Walls do you have a ring for me?!"

Don't tell me this is his way of trying to get back with me. I swear if Levi persuaded him while was changing.

Hans glares at me, "You are delusional. The ring is a weapon, for cutting rope."