Chapter 12

Levi glances over at me and I shrug. I've never properly gambled before but I've played poker enough to be confident in my skills. With Levi's win, I can literally bet anything.

I smile and sit down, Greta sitting right across for me with a grin. Greta gives me bad vibes. I can't tell if she is involved with her husbands 'projects' with the casino or if she just genuinely loves her husband and thinks he does white-collar work, running his business from a small office.

Regardless of everything, she seems like the 'Queen Bee' between her and Clara. Clara hadn't seemed to utter a word since we met, always staring at me but looking away when I looked at her with a smile.

Klein and Steen join the table. "We will go easy on you." Klein reassures us and I glance over at him with a giggle. The misogyny is irritating, but I ignore it and look over at the dealer.

Klein and Steen put forward a 25 and 10 since they are the blinds and I settle down and relax in my seat, crossing my legs, as the dealer deals out two cards each. I look down at my cards and see I have a 5 and 6 of clubs.

When I look up again, I notice Tobias moving away from the table with a dealer. Internally I grunt, knowing my chance to eavesdrop is completely ruined because Greta wanted to play a game.

"2,000." Klein says immediately. I glance over at him, wondering what he is doing. Didn't say he would go easy on us?

"Raise. 5,000." Greta pushes forward several orange counters.

"Call." Clara nervously says, pushing in her counters too.

"Raise. 10,000." Steen smirks, adding his counters to the pot.

Are these people insane? The dealer hasn't even revealed the first three cards of the flop? What are they even betting on?

"Raise to 20,000" I bluff. I should try to play against their irrationality.

"Fold." Klein chuckles, dropping his cards. I glance over at him and he shakes his head. Did I do something wrong? Sure I've got pretty bad cards, but it's not like anyone else at the table has anything great either yet.

"Raise. 25,000." Greta says and smiles, her pearly white teeth showing through her red lipstick.

"Fold." Clara mumbles and I notice Greta giving her a pointed look with Clara looking over with innocent eyes.

Okay, this confirms that Greta is the Mean Queen Bee. And this Mean Queen Bee is trying to mess with me. At this thought, I smile and suppress a laugh. I like to believe it's not that easy to mess with myself.

"Raise to 35,000." Steen says, sliding his counters into the pot.

"Call." I say, making sure my expression isn't reasonable.

"All in." Greta says, full of confidence. She pushes in around a lot of chips worth around 15,000 coins.

I stare at Greta, confused, and hoping she doesn't have something crazy. "Call."

"Fold." Steen places down his cards, much to my surprise. He raised the pot by 10,000 and now he is folding? I can't read these people.

But more importantly, I'm fucked. I don't have anything right now that justifies me betting this much. For a second I close my eyes and pray to the Walls, something I haven't done for a good few years now.

"Okay." The dealer says and deals out the five cards and laces them on the table. I take a deep breath as the dealer reaches and turns the first card. "Two of clubs." I internally let out a sigh of relief. I have a chance for a flush, maybe even a straight.