Chapter 17

Steel block cells lined the walls of the underground chamber. Three people in each, sharing a potato sack to lie on. Everyone looks at us as we entered, their face gaunt. Suddenly I hear a baby scream and my eyebrow twitches.

There are babies in this place?

"These are the cleaners we have. You can pick any you want. There's a one-off payment we can discuss when talking about the property." Leon comments and starts walking around, going further down into the chamber.

So it's actually human trafficking.

"You go on," Greta smiles at me, "This is a woman thing. I want to talk to Ernst." Instead of questioning her motive I shrug at Levi, who is sporting an absolutely blank face, and they leave, Greta grabbing Levi's arm. I pretend to take interest in the first cell, looking down at the poor souls quivering in fear. I strain my ears to listen to what Greta is discussing with Levi.

"Would you like to meet up tomorrow?" I hear Greta's nasally voice, "Just the two of us." "Why?" Levi bluntly asks.

"You know why." She purrs, "Pick a time." Hearing this makes me feel disgusted and enraged.

"I'm married, Greta." Levi brushes her off.

"So?" I hear the grin in her voice. "You're really goodloo-"

"We are done here I believe." Levi cuts her off and suddenly appears right in front of my face. I feel heat rush to my cheeks and chuckle.

"Eavesdropping?" He whispers.

"She's crazy." I shake my head I turn to walk towards Leon and Tobias. I hear scratching against the wall and that makes me feel uncomfortable.

"This damn cat keeps scratching the paint off the wall." Tobias complains and kicks the metal bars that form the cell. Confused I increase my pace over to the last cell where thy are.

I instantly a grey tabby cat. A cute one, but a malnourished one.

"Why is there a cat?" Levi asks as the cat starts moaning, most definitely in pain.

"One of them came with the cat for free." Leon laughs and elbows Levi, "Good transaction, huh?"

I feel my stomach turn at these corrupted fools. To save a few coins, they exploit people and keep them locked in cells. But what about the waiters in the casino? They look well dressed and fed. Do they pay them? Do they live down here too? I furrow my eyebrows confused.

"Is everything okay Annalise?" Greta asks, appearing at my side.

"Just thinking about which I want." I reply quickly and smirk, trying not to raise suspicion.

"We will pick the best if you want, " Leon smiles and gestures to the door, "Let's look over the map upstairs, Mr. Biehl."

We proceed to go back down the hallway and up the dark stairs. Once again I was forced to hold onto Levi going up the stairs. For a dark, set of stairs, it's beyond my why they don't have a rail going down the wall.

Back in the VIP room, Levi and Leon discussed the surrounding property. Leon was Interested in buying everything and getting the property lines reassessed. Levi promised to reject the other offers he got for the line and ask a professional cartographer to redraw what the map will look like after purchase, including measurements.

Levi then used that as an excuse to leave early. As soon as we left the establishment and were on the streets, I let out a deep sigh, wanting to rip the wig from my head.

"What was all that bullshit about a cartographer redraw the map with the new property line?" I chuckle and glance over at Levi.

He shrugs his shoulders, "I thought you could make it work."

"Walls." I shake my head and we turn around a corner. "Anyway, we've got to be careful now. When the previous MP on the case told me he heard there were slaves, I though two or three. Not fifty locked in cells." As we walk down the road, I get a really bad feeling

"Your right, " Levi starts, "I was completely disgusted. They act so casual about it, makes me want to bash their head-" I cut off Levi by grabbing his arm and yanking him to the side. Simultaneously, I lift up my leg and the person hiding in the alleyway makes direct contact with. The collision causes them to slam into the wall of a nearby building.

I release Levi and enter the alleyway. I grab the mysterious person's arm, which I notice is holding a dagger and turn it around behind their back against the wall. I knee them in the back and they become weak and nearly limp. "For fucks sake. Who are you?" I ask, venom spewing out of my voice.

Suddenly disgusted by the physical contact, I release them, wiping my hands on my dress. I use my foot to turn them around and scoff when I finally notice they are wearing an MP uniform. I notice her long hair and wide eyes staring back at me. "Commander Eve!" She exclaims.

"Yes," I narrow my eyes, "What squad are you from?"

Levi walks over, and I glance at him. He stares at me with slightly widened eyes.

"Anti-Personnel Control Squad." She mumbles and looks away.

Anti-Personnel Control Squad? Kenny's secret squad? What is his problem?

"What does that bastard want?" I ask her, bending my waist down to make eye contact with her.

"He ordered me to kill someone." She mumbles, clearly uncomfortable, "He heard you were working with the Captain."

"What bastard?" Levi asks, a fire burning in his eyes.

"A crazy one." I answer before turning back to her, "Now look at me. You tell that ever wall fucking, cock sucking bastard where to shove it. And tell him it doesn't matter if his squad is a secret. It doesn't matter if he plans to assassinate myself or Levi. But that I will PERSONALLY make sure his dumb squad is disbanded and he gets sent right back to where he came from."

The girl nods, her eyes filled with fear, and then confusion when blood drips down her cheek.

"And get your head stitched up." I roll my eyes, "And next time you try to kill someone, maybe don't? You're kinda bad darling." She scrambled her feet, avoiding eye-contact with Levi and leaving quickly.

I cross my arms and leave the alleyway, Levi quickly catching up to me and grabbing my elbow. I stare at him with wide eyes and yank my arm away rubbing it while glaring at him. He stops in front of me.

"An MP ordered for me to be assassinated?" Levi asks me, his eyebrows furrowed.