Prologue

It was a gloomy night at the De Rune house. Lighting snapped onto the glass windows before disappearing. Branches raked their small delicate leaves on the outside walls. The animals crying out in fright before being calmed by the last of the stablehand locking up for th night. The storm would surely flood many homes of wild game, making tomorrows hunt grander for Sir De Rune and his hunters. Lady De Rune would be tending to their 5 year old daughter Amicia before heading to bed.

As the last stablehand locked up the pig pen, a small wail pierced the air as the lighting crashed, masking the wail only a little. As the stablehand walked to the wooden gate entrance that led out of the estate, the wail suddenly got louder as if it was on the other side of the door. The stablehand looked around him towards the courtyard, soon camouflaging within the pelting raindrops. With a flick of his key and twisting it in the iron lock, he slowly opened the door to take a peak before looking below him.

Curling on the ground, covered in rags stained with mud, was a young girl who looked around the firstborn's age. The stablehand gently put his hand on the girls head, making the girl go quiet and turning her head upwards, eyes of bird eggs staring into his eyes, paralyzing his feet to stay in the slushy ground as it mixed with the rain.

Watching her dark locks fall out of her face, the stablehand carefully put his hand in front of her, waiting for a reaction. Silently and almost judging, the girl put her small petite hand in his as the stablehand led her through the oak entrance and into the courtyard. Once they were both inside, the stablehand locked the wooden gate once again and headed into the stone building as lights flashed through the windows as the main gate opened.

Sir De Rune stood in confusion as his servant walked towards the entrance, before noticing the little girl at his side. The noble quickly stood to the side and let both stablehand and girl in from the harsh cold.

" Sir De Rune, I apologise for this hour, I found this girl curled up outside the courtyard entrance. I didn't have the heart to leave her out there any longer" the stablehand explained.

" It is alright, no child should be left in a storm like that" De Rune replied before kneeling down towards the little girl, a soft smile decorating his face." Are you alone young one?" He asked. The girl gave a slight nod as her right hand tugged on her rags damp, mud caking her fingers as they made contact.

" I am Sir De Rune of this land, I welcome you here as a guest" the knight introduced himself as the girl hesitated before stepping forward." If you like, you can stay here. There's plenty of food, water and clothes for you, and I'm sure my daughter Amicia would be pleased to have a friend?" He continued.

The girl seemed cautious before opening her mouth a little as a wisp came out, inaudible to the two men standing around her.

"What was that?" De Rune gently asked her. The girl looked up and stared into his eyes as she opened her mouth once again."Sylvia.......my name is Sylvia..... Is it okay if I stayed?" The girl finally spoke, a slight glimmer of hope sparking in her eyes.

" Of course you may, I get a maid to sought out a room and new clothes for you" De Rune said as he turned to the stablehand." Your work for tonight is done, you may go to rest. I'll take care of Sylvia" De Rune said to him as the stablehand bowed and walked out of the room. 

De Rune gave his hand to the girl, who quickly grabbed it and let the knight lead her out of the hallway towards the stairs and up to a room near Amicia's.

Tonight would mark two things. The first, a new family member and war, Sylvia De Rune. And the second being another key point with what would be.....the most terrifying tragedy France has ever seen before that would change everyone, good or evil.........