Our Home

Sylvia's P.O.V                                                                                                                   The ride back was Silent except for the sniffles and sobs that emitted from Amicia. The only looks Father would give us would be looks of sadness and pity. He knows how much Lion meant to me and Amicia. To see his death happen within five seconds of having found him impacted us both.

It was only an hour later that we finally arrived back home. The double wood gates opened as I pulled the reins on my horse, stopping it's movement as Amicia and Father did the same before getting down from our horse and handing all three to the stable hands.

''I shall organize a hunt. Go and find your mother-tell her I must speak with her. She's probably...-'' ''Looking after Hugo. Yes I'll go Amicia interrupted Father with a solemn look as she started to walk away.

''Amicia, wait up!'' I called out to her, walking faster towards my sister.

''Amicia, Sylvia...'' Father called as we both turned to him again, a crestfallen look on his faced.''He was a good dog'' He finished sadly before walking off.

As we made our way through the courtyard and on our way through the inner estate, I could hear whispers coming from two male servants.

''Where are the rivets for reinforcing the door?''

''I haven't been able to make them yet...''

''Did you hear about the English troops arriving?...Erh..''

Their whispers grew larger as me and Amicia both walked closer.

''Those new rivets will have to wait... By the way, any news about the town?''

''Everyone is on edge.... Some were bitten during the night..''

''Sounds like the English to me...''

''Now why would the English go and bite people?''

''I dunno, to keep us off balance...''

One of the men turned and saw us just as we were a few feet sway from them.

''Good day Lady Amicia, Lady Sylvia'' one of them greeted us before going back to work. We continued on walking through the estate until we came upon one of the pigpens where a maid was defeathering a chicken. We knew the maid as Flore, a kind lady who we knew when we would play near the animal pens.

''Oh! Lady Amicia! Lady Sylvia! Did you have a good walk?'' Flore asked us as she looked up from her current duty.

The question immediately made me remember Lion, laying there whimpering before being dragged into the hole for the last time...

''Later Flore..Tell the others that the forest is out of bounds until further notice'' Amicia told her.

''Er,yes I'll... I'll tell them'' Flore replied confused before returning to her task at hand.

After making sure some of the staff were told the same thing, we continued to the house through the chapel entrance. The chapel consisted of stone walls along with painted glass windows, a clothed table with the golden cross for our services and oak pews lined up on either side of the chapel, which now had the priest sitting down on one, praying frantically in what I supposed was Latin. Amicia slowly walked up to the table, placing her hands down on it while I stood a couple of feet behind her.

''Take care of Lion please. He deserves his place at your side. Even if he was a bit naughty sometimes.... Goodbye our darling dog'' She prayed while gently sobbing, backing away from the table. 

''Amicia, Lion will always be our favorite dog. Let's head into the house and find Lady De Rune'' I said as my sister nodded her head and followed me as we exited the chapel through the other entrance that led straight to the path towards the front of the main estate building which was our home. As we walked forward, I could hear muttering from one of the male servants that was brushing up dirt from the pathway.

''This sunshine won't last long... The rain has already ruined the harvest. People are dying of hunger... We're lucky to be in this house, mark my words...You're right about that''

''Ah! Gabrielle... Is mother upstairs?'' Amicia's words directed my attention from the male servant to another maid that was walking out of the main house.

''Yes, she spent the night there... The little one had another one of his attacks'' Gabrielle answered.

''She won't be in a good mood'' Amicia muttered under her breath, but loud enough for me to make out her words.

''My respects Amicia, Sylvia'' Gabrielle continues before walking past us and towards the courtyard.

As Gabrielle vanished from our sight, we proceeded to go into the house, crimson and navy fabrics draped on the windows and walls, as we walked hastily through the warehouse towards the kitchen, where the stairs would take us up to Lady De Rune's study.

Entering the kitchen, spices and a sweet smell entered our nostrils. ''Mmmmmm..'' Lea, one of the cooks, hummed as my sister and I circled around her ,the pot of stew she was preparing,bubbling as our noses took in more of its aroma.

''The smell of your cooking warms the heart...''  Amicia smelled the stew, taking in the stew's spices with a soft smile.''Oh it's nothing much, but I think you'll both like it!'' Lea exclaimed as she continued to mix in the stew's ingredients as she smiled at both of us.

''I'm sure we will...'' I said as we both say goodbye to Lea and continue heading up the stairs, the heavenly feel leaving us as we went through the door exiting the kitchen.

''Yes lady Beatrice,leave it to me'' Someone whispered as a door closed the second we entered the hallway, cobwebs dangling in nooks and small light bleeding through the wooden windows. ''Louise...Have you seen mother?'' Amicia asked, recognizing the maid. I was never close to Louise like Amicia was, I spent my time with either my sister, Father or the guards practicing my sword fighting skills.

''Indeed. Em, do you... Do you want to see her?'' Louise asked us.''It's important. Father's orders'' I explained as Louise glanced at me with a small smile.

''Oh, in that case... I have to finish your room.By the way, I've left a little something for you for your bed. Come and see it if you like'' Louise called out as she went into Amicia's room.'' Ah, thank you...'' My sister replied as both of us stood in front of the door to Lady De Rune's study.

'Knock knock'

There was no reply as I knocked on the door.''Might as well enter. Even if she get's angry at us, we at least have a reason for entering and not just because we want to'' I murmured as I gently took hold of the door knob and silently let us in.