From Small Things Mama

December 19th 1:37 P.M Sam's house

Sams contractions were getting closer together. She had tried to get through it by herself as long as she could. And she was honestly proud of herself for lasting this long. But she was getting nervous. Pulling out her cell she called her mom.

Hey baby how are you feeling? She asked.

Theyre getting closer together.

How close are they? Patti asked.

Seven minutes, they last about 50 seconds. Can you come back mom, please? Sam said trying not to start crying.

Yeah of course Ill be over in a second. Patti replied.

Sam was positioned on the couch, arm across the back of the couch. Legs curled under her as she leaned forward trying to ease the pain. The front door opened making her look up to see her mom walk in.

Mmmm thank you mom. She moaned.

Another? Patti asked slipping off her coat as Bruce came in behind her.

Yeah Sam moaned again.

Patti sat down next to her laying her hand on Sam's back. Hon can you get her some water? Patti asked.

Bruce walked over a second later with a glass of water with extra ice. Setting it on the table she sat down looking at Sam.

You alright kiddo? He asked laying his hand on her knee.

Im scared she said quietly.

Patti smiled softly, brushing back a strand of Sams red hair as it fell around her face from her messy bun.

About what? She asked.

Being a single mom, what if Im horrible?

Thats not possible. You have the biggest and kindest heart I know. And Im not just saying that because Im your dad. I mean it. Bruce replied with a gentle smile.

The two of them had always been close, she had always loved music and unlike Jess or Evan she had never put down the guitar. She used to sneak into practices with the E Street Band or listen at the door when Bruce was working from home. Sam also looked the most like her mom with pale skin and bright red hair. Time with her dad was special since she was the youngest. But they would do everything together if they had the chance. Her mom was the one she went to when relationships were going south and she needed to talk. Dad was the person she went to when she needed music to drown out her emotions when talking was just to hard.

Why dont you call Kelly? Or do you want me to do? Patti asked glancing at her watch.

Can you call her? I need to go to the bathroom. Sam asked as she pushed herself up.

Yeah Patti nodded. Glancing at Bruce she let out a sigh and pulled out her phone calling Kelly.

Hey Patti, I was just about to call Sam. Hows she doing? Kelly asked.

Her contractions have started getting closer together. Theyre at about 7 minutes from what she told me. She explained.

Okay, I was just finishing up and Ill come over. Kelly replied.

Thanks, well see you in a little bit. Patti said hanging up.

She should be over in a little bit.

Bruce nodded looking towards the bathroom as Sam walked out slowly. He gave her a soft smile trying to reassure her. But she moved into the bedroom. Patti got up and walked into Sams bedroom closing the door behind her. Turning around Sam looks at her.