I'll Stand By You

Patti had tried her hardest to stay beside her daughter and not let on to her own pain but it was getting harder. To the point she knew her husband was catching on. The last thing she wanted was to put the baby in danger, but she wanted, no needed to be here for her daughter right now. Not cooped up in a hospital. This time around with the contraction it was different. This one took her breath away and she gripped the arm of the chair she was sitting in and cradled her stomach.

"No, n-n-no, B somethings wrong" she said breathlessly.

He was at her side in a second looking worried.

"Mom, dad what's going on?" Sam asked from her spot on the bed feeling helpless.

"Is it another contraction?" Bruce asked brushing Patti's long red hair away from her face. She only nodded and he looked to Kelly.

"You need to get her to a hospital, I can stay here a while longer with Sam." Kelly said laying her hand on Pattis' arm.

"I'll call my sister. She should be able to come over tonight and help." Bruce said, "can you help her?"

Kelly nodded while Bruce kissed the top of his wifes head before going to call his sister. Her phone rang a few times before she picked up.

"Hi there new grandpa" she said when she picked up.

Bruce wished he could laugh with his sister but right now his concern was his wife. "Yeah, I was actually calling about that."

"Is everything okay?" She asked.

"Sam and the baby are fine but Patti... She''s been having contractions and they're getting worse. Kelly can stay for a little while but Sam shouldn't... "

"Say no more, I can be there in a bit." She chimed in. Bruce sighed grateful for his sister.

"Thank you" Bruce breathed.

"Of course, get Patti to the hospital and keep me updated."

"I will" He said relieved.

"I'm getting ready to leave now, love you" She said.

"You too" he said before hanging up.

Heading back into the room Patti was at least sitting up and drinking some water.

"My sisters going to come over as soon as she can" Bruce said looking over to Sam who looked pale with worry.

"Okay, do you need help?" Kelly asked.

"Can you help her and I can get the car?" Bruce asked helping Patti to her feet.

"Sure" Kelly nodded as Bruce left the room.

"Mom" Sam said quietly.

"I'm sorry sweetie" Patti said with tears in eyes.

"It's fine, I'm fine, just please make sure you're okay."

Patti nodded giving her a kiss, "I love you" she mouthed making Sam nod.

Kelly helped Patti to the door as Bruce pulled up and hopped out of the car opening the passenger door and helping Patti in carefully. He thanked Kelly who nodded and went back inside. The drive to the hospital seemed to take forever and Bruce grew nervous. Patti reached over taking his hand while the tears streamed down her face. 

"I'm sorry" She sniffed, Bruce brought her hand to his mouth kissing it gently. 

"Don't be sorry, neighter of us want this to be happening right now.  We will get you to the hospital and checked out to be safe.  Everything gonna be fine." He reassured her. 

"What if something happens?  What if this is my punishment for ever saying anything negative about the baby."

"This is NOT punishment, we both know that we were taking a risk.  You have had more faith in this than I could even imagine.  Now I have faith that everything is going to work out." 

The both fell Silent for a moment still holding hands.  "Every night at the show when I said the Lords Prayer,  I said my own little prayer and the last few months it was that the baby would be okay and that we would give him the best life we could no matter the issues we faced.  That I would be the dad I always wanted to be but music always got in the way." 

"What are you talking about, you're a great dad.  You always have been.  I think music helped you."

"We were just gone a lot." 

"That doesn't change the love we had for them and they grew up knowing that."  Patti said squeezing his hand.  "But I do love that you prayed for him."

"You still having contractions?" He asked changing the subject.

"I haven't for a little while." she replied laying her hand on her stomach. 

She breathed out slowly her eyes filling with tears again as they came up to the front of the hospital.  Putting it in park Bruce got out and opened the door.  Helping Patti from the car and inside to get checked in. 

"Go move the car, I'll be fine.  I have to wait here anyway."  Patti said squeezing his hand. 

"Are you sure?" he asked. 

"mhm, paperwork" she said holding up the clip board. 

Bruce chuckled and nodded going out to move the car.  Patti sat there doing the paperwork when she felt another strong contraction take her breath away.  Bruce came back in and came over to her sitting down. 

"Can you check how long?  The contractions are getting worse."  Patti asked. 

Nodding Bruce got up to speak to the charge nurse.   It didn't take long and he was walking back over with a nurse and a wheelchair.  Patti sighed and pushed herself up and sat down in the chair.   Getting back to a room the waiting continued but at least she was being monitored. 

"What time is it?" She asked looking at her husband. 

"Almost midnight". He replied looking up from his phone. 

"What were you looking at?"  She asked as he took her hand. 

"Uh Sam was texting me and then I texted Ginny." 

"How's Sam?"

"Worried about you.  She was going to try and get some sleep though because the baby was asleep."